UPDATE#5: Hull-Raney Ion Gun Contruction

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
raneyt

UPDATE#5: Hull-Raney Ion Gun Contruction

Post by raneyt »

Folks,

I finished the first incarnation of the ion gun. I used the G-10 rods to hold the flanges in alignment and finished a frame whereby the ion gun is shock-mounted using four extension springs (insulated from the frame). I also began leak testing the system and have not found the leak yet.

I also sealed the flanges with a acetic acid-free RTV so that I wouldn't induce any corrosion problems in the vacuum pump. If the leak is from any of the glass-to-metal flange joints (likely) and I can't correct the leak by tightening the tie rods further, I may disassemble the system and just use vacuum epoxy to hold everthing together (and dispense with the tie rods entirely).

As an aside, Richard Hull and I drove down to the Raleigh hamfest this past Sunday. it was a nice surprise and pleasure meeting Carl Willis there. He was selling some neat stuff too. I bought some porcelain stand-off insulators, a physics lab rheostat, etc. Richard bought even more stuff from him. So, I think Carl had less junk to take home (unless he got some good deals like us).

Well, good luck with your experiments. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

TIM

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”