Gunned fusor / mass production ion injectors

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
Andrew Seltzman

Gunned fusor / mass production ion injectors

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

Here is what I have so far on the gunned fusor front:

First and foremost, a big thanks to Phil Fostini for donating some laser cathodes to the cause.

I have decided to use NW-40 flanges and have a preliminary gun design. The fist picture shows the flanges in the positions where they will be brazed. Milling of the ports in the hemispheres will start in the next several weeks.

The gun design will probably be tested in the next several weeks, after I get some magnets and do a little vacuum work.
All fabrication of this gun design was done with pliers and a dremel. For cutting the high alumina ceramic, use a diamond coated cutting disk (5 for about $5 on e-bay). Diamond coated bits were also used (90 for $10 on e-bay).

http://www.rtftechnologies.org/physics/ ... jector.htm

Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Attachments
injector-front.JPG
injector-cathode.JPG
fusor-mark2-port-test.JPG
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Richard Hull

Re: Gunned fusor / mass production ion injectors

Post by Richard Hull »

Wow!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
jst

Post by jst »

Any chance you'll go past 5kev on those injectors ( you seem to have a LINAC of some sort on one of your pages )? Or is this simply a novel method of ion injection and the fusor shell and a grid continue to provide accelleration?
Andrew Seltzman

The injectors are mainly for producing streams of ions that are focused between the inner grid wires, and source them at the edge of the shell so that the ions gain the maximum energy posible when falling into the potential well.

These injectors are mainly designed for producing ions at higher gurrent rather then at higher energy.

Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Andrew Seltzman

After a long hiatus over the summer to gather parts, I have made some more progress on the ion injectors.

Firtly, I have constructed an injector testbed that connects to the turbo pump. Tonight I replaced the vacuum seals in the turbo pump, and fired up the injector with an open bore (no extractor cone). with the turbo on, the potential of the microwave transformer (about 3kv) was not sufficient to ionize the residual gas. Pushing the injector higher the filiment burnt out, but definitly a step in the right direction.

Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Attachments
test3-filiment.JPG
test3-rear.JPG
test3-testbed.JPG
test3-setup.JPG
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Did you have a monster magnet on hand around your gun? You'll never ionize without it. Even with it you will not ionize successfully if your vacuum is extremely deep.

Nice work to this point and the very best of luck.

Ricahrd Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Andrew Seltzman

No, there is no magnet. I was trying to put that off as long as posible, but I guess I now have to devise a scheme.

Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”