Microtrap

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
longstreet

Microtrap

Post by longstreet »

Maybe this is just misguided, but I am still looking at controlled ionization without the involved business of building a lot ion guns. This is very similar to the idea of a positive out grid, but I don't want electrons everywhere. I want the ions made over the inner cathode holes.

Basically it's just a mini-fusor positivly biased with a companion cathode emitting electrons. The electrons fall into the trap awaiting deuterons to happen by and get hit right where they need to be.
Attachments
electontrap.png
Richard Hull

Re: Microtrap

Post by Richard Hull »

Looks and awful lot like the Hirsch meeks patent. (1968-72)

Wall... filament.... ionizer grid..... main accelerator grid.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
longstreet

Post by longstreet »

Like I said, it's "similar". But the main difference is the "ionizer grid" (which is probably a misnomer) does not encompase the entire fusor. Only above the grid spacings.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I guess I don't see the need. Ideally, you never want any ion production anywhere near the inner grid. That is the worst of all worlds. Ions need to be produced in a zone close to the outer wall for the most part. (up to about 30% of the radius away from the wall.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
longstreet

Post by longstreet »

I think you misunderstand. Over the grid means "over" the hole. Not "on top" of the hole. The idea is to trap electrons directly over the grid spaceing so when the ions fall into the potential they are more likely to miss the inner wires. In the patent, the anode causes electrons to range feely at all angles to the grid.

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”