How many protons?

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
Richard Hull

Re: How many protons?

Post by Richard Hull »

It is only now that I fully understand.

I hope you can get the p-B11 reaction to go for you. It would be a first here.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
UG!

Post by UG! »

you may not need the Be John. i have just been reading the 'anutronic fusion' wikipedia artical which states other reactions as being :
p + 11B → n + 11C
4He + 11B → n + 14N
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aneutronic_fusion

so it apperes you will be getting neutrons anyway. my rather uneducated guess would be that unless you have a paveing slab sized lump of Be, it would intercept so few alphas from an already sparce source (unless your useing over about 500Kv), and you would detect so few of the produced neutrons, you wouldn;t see an improvement from the Be alone.

an alternative might be to use an RGA to detect the by-products?

Oliver
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I live in hope Richard

Oliver, the Neutrons from secondary are a very small percentage - " Aneutronic fusion is a form of fusion power where no more than 1% of the total fusion energy released is carried by neutrons " - I expect much less than an ideal 1%, but the problem still remains - how to detect the reaction - Be. will give a recognisable Neutron signature, distinct from the mush. My gamma spec. skills do not match Jon's

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”