Neutron gun...

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
TheTim

Neutron gun...

Post by TheTim »

I understand the basic principles of ion/electron gun function...I'm curious to know if it's possible to create a directional neutron gun. I don't mean making an omni-direction neutron generator and blocking it all the way around except for a small opening...That's not exactly directional...

Obviously neutrons lack charge, so I would assume differentially polarized electric or magnetic fields would do absolutely nothing.
Carl Willis

Re: Neutron gun...

Post by Carl Willis »

Hi Timothy

Getting highly directional neutrons is possible via kinematic constraint in the reaction used to produce the neutrons. Consider an endothermic reaction like Li-7(p,n)Be-7, whose threshold is about 1.8 MeV. If you carry out this reaction with a beam of protons incident on a piece of lithium right at 1.8 MeV, momentum and energy can only be simultaneously conserved if the neutron is expelled into a very small forward-directed angle. The cost of using this method to make a beam of neutrons is the low efficiency. Almost all of the proton beam energy is wasted heating the target. Any other similar threshold (X,n) reaction could be used in a similar manner.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Richard Hull

Re: Neutron gun...

Post by Richard Hull »

Carl beat me to the Li+P reaction, which is classic for neutrons in the forward direction. There are others as Carl notes.

The cost of such a very inefficent source would be in the $50,000 range with new stuff used. Getting the proton beam up to 1.8 mev + at a sufficient beam current to be effective would be the real cost here.

Got big bucks? You can have a tolerable beam of neutrons all within the confines of a small 8X12 foot room full of gear, complete with leathal x-ray radiation and other sprays of EM radiation.

Looking for a cheap beam? You are back to blocking off a small section of an isotropic source operated at low cost.

Again, all hinges on your desired beam energy or desired flux.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”