Ion Confinement techniques.

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
Nishit_Mehta

Ion Confinement techniques.

Post by Nishit_Mehta »

Hello everyone.

I am glad that I found this consortium where I can learn many things regarding my subject of interest.

I am using a magnetron to produce ions but in my experiment the ions get diffused after production.
I have given a thought to apply an external electric field using an additional electrode but I was wandering if it alters any inherent property of ion flow. Is there any technique, you think suitable, that I can effectively apply in my experiment? Thank you all...

Nishit...
Doug Coulter

Re: Ion Confinement techniques.

Post by Doug Coulter »

Ions will of course self-diffuse after production -- they are all like charge and repel one another, quite fiercely when the density of charge gets high. Else fusion would be really easy.

Since I have no clue what your experiment is, I can't say too much, but ion traps of various sorts have existed for a long time, and there's a lot of literature around about them (but it tends to be for-pay and not cheap). Nearly all I know of involve use of various AC fields to get the ions into some sort of limited amplitude controlled oscillatory trajectories. Whether that will mess up whatever experiment you are doing I cannot know.

Using the charge on ions, you can tug on them with E fields, accelerate them, focus them, bend them or control them with H fields, and so on.

Here's a book on how it's done with just electric fields:

Quadrupole Mass Spectrometry and Its Applications
Editor Peter H Dawson
American Vacuum Society Classics
AIP press
ISBN: 1-56396-455-4

Which also covers ion trapping. It's a hundred bucks and change on Amazon.com
That's actually on the cheap side for things from AIP. I can say that it helped my understanding along quite a lot, but if you are math-averse it will make your head hurt.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”