ES Linear Accel. Update

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
dbrown

ES Linear Accel. Update

Post by dbrown »

Well, last week I machined all the Einzel lens and electro-static collector plates and realized (during assembly to the vacuum tube) that I used copper. Oh well, into the scrap metal pile ... .

Just received the aluminum rod and will machine the rods into tight fitting 'tubes' tomorrow for use as Einzel lens (not sure if I'll still use the copper collectors plates for now to hurry construction or wait until I have time to machine new Al ones) - I'd think that most the x-rays would be produced by deuterons hitting the 'lens' which will be aluminum. The collector plates will be mounted outside the glass vacuum jacket and fully in the air.

Will add a spray charger to the Van De Graaf (+15 keV neon sign x-former with varac) and see how that works - hopefully, not by the method of shocking.

Finished the deuteron gun's high voltage feedthru and vacuum tested the thing to 10-6 mm Hg.

Ordered a steel globe (12 inch glazing globe) and after that arrives, will try and figure out how to machine that puppy (maybe drill a mounting hole for a rod and then mount the thing in the lathe to cut? or just band saw? then clean up.) Any one who has done this, I'd like to hear from you.

Working on a small chamber for the targets that will be mounted on the end of the accelerator tube - allowing either a deuterated or glass target to be rotated into position. Deciding on whether to water cool the Fraday cup (and if I do, then how to bias the thing with 100 volts to stop counter flow of electrons with a cooling system ... .)

Hopefully, will have some pictures of the accel. tube/lens by the weekend.

When they say the devil is in the details, they aren't kidding.

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”