rf ion gun

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
daniel_pflug

rf ion gun

Post by daniel_pflug »

Hey Carl,

I am also interested in the results of your stainless source. If it's all right, I'd like to use this rf source on my first fusor. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you send me a schematic of the L-match network and how it attaches to the rf source. Thanks!

O crap...my first message and I posted it wrong....sorry
Carl Willis

Re: rf ion gun

Post by Carl Willis »

Thanks for your interest. I don't have results yet from operation, but I will humor the couple interested parties with some photos of the construction and assembly by the coming weekend. I will post those updates in the thread I already have going about this source.

A schematic of the 200-MHz L network is here:
http://carlwillis.files.wordpress.com/2 ... ltuner.jpg

I don't have part numbers or anything that specific; you'll be well-served by hunting down useful parts on the surplus market. My more recent L network retains the principle of this one but is made from a single folded-up piece of copper flashing and some Teflon sheet. I no longer plan on using 200 MHz with this source, and as you'll see when my photos go up, I am presently configured to use a kitchen microwave oven magnetron (2450 MHz) and a three-stub waveguide tuner in a scrap piece of WR284 to drive the RF discharge. Lots more power, improved efficiency, simpler to realize, and more accessible and economical.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
daniel_pflug

Re: rf ion gun

Post by daniel_pflug »

Carl,
Thanks for the info... Sorry again about the posting issues. I'm hoping to create a 6" spherical style chamber and use it to compare RF and anode layer ion sources. I may even put on a couple DC magnetron guns for kicks. I look forward to seeing the stainless source. Thanks

-Daniel Pflug

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”