Eberline PNC-4 Neutron detector

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Andrew Seltzman

Eberline PNC-4 Neutron detector

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

I recently got an eberline PNC-4 neutron detector on ebay that I was able to get up and running with a little cleaning and some electrical work.
Photos of the components posted here
http://www.rtftechnologies.org/physics/ ... tector.htm
SAM_4925b.jpg
SAM_4946a.jpg
Yes, they do have tunnel diodes(top middle of the board)
SAM_4956a.jpg
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Dave Xanatos

Re: Eberline PNC-4 Neutron detector

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Nice find!
It would take decades of work, by thousands of scientists, in a particle accelerator powered by dump trucks of flaming grant money! - Professor Farnsworth/FUTURAMA
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Yes, the circuit is very different from the PNC-1 including the addition of tunnel diodes. I have couple spares if you ever need any Andrew.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have two PNC-4's the log-lin metering can be cantancerous or damaged relatively easy in a slip or fall. I have seen a gang o' them with bad meters. One of mine is on a remball, other is without detector, (just the electronics body.) I sort of collect Tunnel diodes as well as ancient point contact transistors of the early years.

The tunnel diode was hailed as a great thing, but like the unijunction, just didn't have a big, long run. Today a tunnel diode can cost nearly $100.00! I do not think they are used much at all. I doubt if there are more than 3 old replacement numbers still made. SCR's are also a relic of sorts, but still see use as crowbars. Triacs sort of blew them out of the water. Oddly Quadracs didn't make it either. (triac with built in diac) Many of the more specialized semi's are either not used in OEM stuff or, when they are used, it is due to low prices offered to dump them.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”