Beryllium Focusing? (Also a use of webcam not found in FAQ)

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Max Turnquist

Beryllium Focusing? (Also a use of webcam not found in FAQ)

Post by Max Turnquist »

So I'm working on designing a new fusion-grade fusor, and as with everyone, neutron detection is an issue.
I luckily have the opportunity to get some small sections of beryllium sheet, and that got me thinking.

Beryllium is commonly used as a neutron reflector, so if one were to make a parabolic surface of beryllium to cover one side of a poissor, (outside the grounding cage, presumably) would it then be possible to "focus" the neutron flux from that hemisphere to your detector? Thereby artificially increasing the flux on your detector, making a less sensitive device sufficient?

Also, for detecting x-rays, couldn't you put a webcam facing the poissor behind an aluminum shield and look for static in the image? as far as I'm aware, aluminum should be transparent to x-ray, and a forward biased CCD would be extremely sensitive to any disturbance.
Jim Kovalchick

Re: Beryllium Focusing? (Also a use of webcam not found in F

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

1. Beryllium is expensive. If you can afford enough Be to reflect, you can afford to by an awesome neutron detector instead.
2. Be isn't the only good reflector. Notice that most neutron detectors are buried in a moderator instead of just hiding behind a layer of moderator. In addition to thermalizing, most moderators tend to also reflect some.
3. Why do you need to detect x-rays that way? Why not use a geiger sensitive to your energy range of choice. That's what they're for.
Richard Hull

Re: Beryllium Focusing? (Also a use of webcam not found in F

Post by Richard Hull »

Focusing neutrons is akin to herding cats. Easier said than done. I doubt if you would have any form of signifciant success at this with a fusor. Neutrons love to scatter when hitting most any substance rather like cats that are frightened.

Focusing is best accomplished with large volumes of supposed neutron reflectors not thin sheets.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”