Detect neutrons (neutron detector)

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Junaid Abdurahman

Detect neutrons (neutron detector)

Post by Junaid Abdurahman »

How can I detect neutrons if I can't get hold of a neutron detector. I was told by a teacher that I could have a test tube of water and if it had small bubbles then it'd prove that neutrons did indeed pass through, would this work?
Richard Hull

Re: Detect neutrons (neutron detector)

Post by Richard Hull »

No! Water will not bubble with the passage of neutrons. Neutron detection failures usually ends the adventure for would-be fusioneers and casual DIY folks landing here. There are many roadblocks in the path to doing and proving fusion at the amateur level. Neutron detection is one of the most difficult hurdles. In the neutron detection FAQs, several methods are offered up. Within this forum, older discussions have also talked of alternate methods. None of them are necessarily easy or cheap.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”