He3 Detector tube - Anyone see any red-flags on this listing

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Dave Xanatos

He3 Detector tube - Anyone see any red-flags on this listing

Post by Dave Xanatos »

At the risk of someone else snapping this up... does anyone see anything wrong with this tube listing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/He-3-Neutron-De ... SwEgVWTQ9W

It runs on 1500 V, says it's tested & working.

Thanks,

Dave
It would take decades of work, by thousands of scientists, in a particle accelerator powered by dump trucks of flaming grant money! - Professor Farnsworth/FUTURAMA
Jim Stead

Re: He3 Detector tube - Anyone see any red-flags on this lis

Post by Jim Stead »

I bought one of these from this seller last year, and I think some others on the forum have as well. I'm not making Neutrons to be able to test it properly, but I have used it against Cesium and Uranium sources with a preamp/sca/ratecounter NIM setup. The source/distance result rates were repeatable over the few days I played with it. The He3 tube inside is about 6" shorter than the overall length of the unit IIRC, and sits towards the front. The BNC connector did not present any problems at these voltages, although technically it should be a SHV connector. The only minor complaint I have is that the BNC jack is threaded into the end cap without a lockwasher or nut. As such, it tends to come loose which places unnecessary twisting strain on the internal wiring and solder joints. The "proper" fix is obvious, but I was thinking a good bead of loctite on the outside surfaces might be sufficient to keep it in place.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”