Radiation Detection. Neutron or Natural?

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
docmills

Radiation Detection. Neutron or Natural?

Post by docmills »

Greetings,

In the litany of jobs I have had to pay for my postgrad degrees I spent several summers and weekends working for an oilfield wireline survey company. Basically we logged the wells with a sweep of scientific instruments to determine rock zone, permeability, and porosity. Part of the tools we worked with involved neutron detection.

I have an opportunity to get an old analog electronic stack with variable generator and neutron detector from a friend who has upgraded to digital equipment. He is working with his tech to make certain we get the right equipment.

Here is his message to me:

I was talking to my tech guy about a neutron detector and he wanted me to ask you what type of radiation you wanted to detect. If you're detecting neutron radiation, it should work, but if you want to detect natural radiation, you may need a gamma ray detector.

Could you cast some pearls of wisdom on which direction to go?

Thanks,

David & Jackson
Richard Hull

Re: Radiation Detection. Neutron or Natural?

Post by Richard Hull »

You want a neutron detector/counter. You are not worried or need to be worried about NORM.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”