Start work on a neutron detector ...

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Dennis P Brown

Start work on a neutron detector ...

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Well, I have been at this forum for some years and my basic goal was to develop a new type of easy to build neutron detector. Now that I may(!) have the issues for my deuterium "Ion" gun solved (and waiting for dryer air of autumn to start this up), and I have a power supply that can run a fusor (which I threw together a year ago), it is time I get serious on this issue.

I have a very nice Spectrum Tech consul system that interfaces to a computer but provides its own controls & display; this unit has two co-axial inputs and will operate (provide power/interface signal processing) for either a Geiger or scintillation tubes (have both types.) I also have a Russian made tube as a back up. I have a cheap Geiger counter as well as seven dose metering pens (to be place at all critical areas near either the fusor or Ion gun for handling x-ray issues) to cross check safety issues and as a sanity check.

Both of my detectors can measure my small Beta source and do a good job with it; nice for an operational check but useless for any serious work.

My next step to get on the path to completion of this initial experiment is to get a calibrated source for confirming the proper operation of my scintillation detector (this uses a NaI crystal.) Afterwards, I will consider issues of neutron detection using this device and then test my new neutron detector design (this has been built but I will discussed details later once I have a neutron source that I understand ...translate: that is, a source that is bright enough and I get some results (lol).)

Still a lot to do and always issues of set backs but that has been the name of the game for some years; as I see, experience is slow but does lead to progress - especially as I build support systems and equipment that rather valuable in aiding me to building yet other, more advanced pieces of equipment. Unfortunately, there are places the learning curve is very step and not at all were these issues obvious nor easily foreseen. Sure there will be more but hope not ... .
Steven Sesselmann

Re: Start work on a neutron detector ...

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Dennis,

How do you propose using a NaI(Tl) crystal to detect neutrons, are you looking for gamma rays from neutron activation?
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Dennis P Brown

Re: Start work on a neutron detector ...

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Short answer, yes; longer answer, the Geiger and Scintillation counters are first for safety (x-ray) issues and secondarily as a reference check on any gamma's; you are correct that I will also read gamma's relative to the new design neutron counter I have built (whether it works as design is an other whole story ...lol.) While the physics of the detector was proven well after I proposed this design, not clear or necessarily probable that it will work as well in a lower flux neutron environment. But that is the point - experiment.

Speaking of which, very surprised how very low end the cables on my Geiger counter's are; took over four hours to replace their co-axial connectors (both units.) Only got these cables to work after strengthening the pin/cable with epoxy before inserting into the co-axial connector.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”