Isotope limits

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Andrew Robinson

Isotope limits

Post by Andrew Robinson »

I just realized we do not have a general forum. We have a "Miscellaneous" area, but no official sub forum under there for actual miscellaneous topics. As a result, I'm just going to post this here. Sorry Frank.

Can someone point of to the NRC regulatory guide on non licensed isotope source limits. I just had it a few days ago and now the link seems to have slipped through my fingers.

Thanks
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Andrew Robinson

Re: Isotope limits

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The middle llink above is the one that involves solid sources that we might actually purchase and use for calibration of insturments and gamma spectrometers.
Thanks for the links.

For what it is worth most suppliers can supply generally +/- 20% amounts in their cheaper sealed sources. However very precisely calibrated amounts in a sealed source command a significant premium and in general are not necessary for the amateur's puposes. Finally, I am told by the powers that be at one seller that if you order the largest amount under the general license, that all of we U.S. citizens possess, (license-free), You will not recieve that amount, ever!!! They are worried that if they spritz in too much near the limit, that they might go over and run the risk of being in violation of their license, so they tend to err on the side of lighter. i.e. order a 10uCi maxed out CS137 and you'll be lucky to get 8uCi.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Andrew Robinson

Yup Richard, you are correct on all fronts. Thanks for the input.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”