Automatic Counter Scaling

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Garrett Young

Automatic Counter Scaling

Post by Garrett Young »

What type of NIM scales a count signal based on a user defined factor?

Once I determine the appropriate scale factor for my BF3 tube (based on bubble data) I would like the counter to display TIE.
- Garrett
Steven Sesselmann

Re: Automatic Counter Scaling

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Garret,

Why don't you just log it with software, PRA or Labview etc, then you cab scale it to anything you like.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Garrett Young

Post by Garrett Young »

I could use PC software or make a counter with Arduino, but there's something satisfying about a NIM BIN setup.
- Garrett
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Take a dead NIM bin plug-in module, gut it and put the Arduino scaler system in it and go from there. I have 4 self-made NIM modules in old NIM casings. Dead and worthless custom, OEM, NIM modules abound. A thin aluminum overplate on the old module can serve as a new faceplate, covering up old holes that are no longer needed.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”