Canberra 814 / Ortec 4890

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Garrett Young

Canberra 814 / Ortec 4890

Post by Garrett Young »

Both of these NIMs are combination preamp/amp/disc and use BJTs for the charge sensitive preamp. The specs indicate that these have poor mV/coulomb gain factors (3.3mV/C) compared with JFET based preamps (200mV/C). I'm wondering if anyone is certain about the vulnerability of the BJT based preamp to rapid changes in bias voltage. I know that JFET based preamps can be damaged by sudden application or removal of bias voltage but my general inclination is that a BJT would be more robust. I want to use a 814 or 4890 with a fixed HV supply that only has on/off control but of course don't want to damage the NIM. Thoughts?
- Garrett
Garrett Young

Re: Canberra 814 / Ortec 4890

Post by Garrett Young »

Update:

The Ortec 4890 has steering diodes on the input that should protect the BJT from sudden application/removal of voltage. Probably not best practice to abruptly change the bias voltage but it's nice to know some protection is present. I might add low leakage diodes (FJH1100) to my JFET preamp once I discover the root cause of the repeated failure.
- Garrett

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”