Maximus Energy NEUTRON-PRO neutron detector

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Dan Knapp

Maximus Energy NEUTRON-PRO neutron detector

Post by Dan Knapp »

There is a neutron detection system called the "Maximus Energy NEUTRON-PRO touch-screen neutron detection and spectroscopy system in Faraday enclosure" being sold on eBay for $1695. It uses a He-3 tube and is totally self contained in a Faraday shield. This would seem to be a good solution to the electrical noise problems with using a He-3 tube with modular detection and counting components. Does anyone have any experience using this system?
RonnieOneal

Re: Maximus Energy NEUTRON-PRO neutron detector

Post by RonnieOneal »

Neutron detection is an extremely challenging process.it is also a difficult one.Neutron pro system is powered by battery,and it comes in a heavy duty Faraday enclosure.The advantage is that it is completely free from electromagnetic noise.So the data acquired will be precise.This neutron pro system can be operated autonomously in hazard areas. It helps to get a precise and clear data.
Rich Feldman

Re: Maximus Energy NEUTRON-PRO neutron detector

Post by Rich Feldman »

I'd imagine a HV circuit that generates impulsive E-field noise will also generate impulsive H-field noise. In both cases it's a near field issue, 'cause we want the neutron detector to be right next to the fusor. Does the product under discussion include magnetic shielding, to reduce voltages induced in its circuits by the H field? I don't know whether the thick aluminum box is good for that in some frequency ranges.

Bottom line: I think Dan's wish to hear about actual experience in a fusor environment is not silly.
Or we could look up EMI susceptibility numbers in the datasheet, or in the standards for any certifications that it has obtained.
If anyone wants to volunteer their noisy fusor for quantitative H-field measurements (which might be minor compared to the standards mentioned below), I could make & send (or specify) a probe.

https://www.atecorp.com/compliance-stan ... lity-(emc)
Haefely_MFS-100.jpg
Haefely_MFS-100.jpg (7.83 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
[edit] I've learned more about nonmagnetic shielding for low frequency magnetic fields. 3 mm thickness of 6061 aluminum is about 30 skin depths at 1 MHz -- excellent shield. It's only 3 skin depths at 10 kHz -- significant attenuation, esp. if the electrical connection across each joint in the enclosure is excellent. It wouldn't make much of a dent in 60 Hz magnetic fields. Might be valuable against the sort of glitches that plague many fusioneers. [\edit]
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”