Inexpensive Rad Detector.

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.

Inexpensive Rad Detector.

Post by guest »

Here's another somewhat less expensive Geiger tube counter for xrays. It's called a Monitor4. (Sorry, i forget who manufactures it - will check it out and post it ). Little 9V battery powered unit. We used it for Xray detection, down to about 1.6 kV !! Cost new is about $400. Gives CPM, Seiverts, Rads, and mRem.

In terms of simply counting events, a geiger tube and a simple 1-2 kV multplier (ion generator pwr supply...?) a couple of caps, resistors, a diode and transistor or two and an LED/ meter for output.. and you have the guts of a useful RAD meter.

Personally, I like the idea of shielding till all radiation is below the minimum detectable levels.
Richard Hull

Re: Inexpensive Rad Detector.

Post by Richard Hull »

I have a number of good and working geiger counters and even a few geiger tubes for sale. See the trading post.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”