Instrument Rack Questions

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Tom Dressel

Instrument Rack Questions

Post by Tom Dressel »

I want to mount my NIM bin and possibly a digital oscilloscope on an instrument rack to keep the instruments orderly and about eye level. I went to Acme electronics this morning, they are a local electronics jobber that I have delt with for years. Their largest volume item is now instrument racks, used in high end A/V systems, and industrial security systems. They come in a huge variety of sizes shapes and features.(new vs used, open rack vs closed rack, wall mount vs on wheels, etc.) Some come with what appears to be side mounting hardware as well as the front flange mount, or poll out shelves.

The question is, are there any features that one should look for when getting an instrument rack, or is it just a matter of personal preference?

Tom Dressel
r_c_edgar

Re: Instrument Rack Questions

Post by r_c_edgar »

I myself would say that it's really a matter of personal preference. I have a plain old open rack that I use myself, basically just a pair of vertical steel supports with holes in them to attach the hardware. It serves all my needs perfectly.

I think that most rack options are either aesthetic or meant to provide units suitable to different space requirements.
Richard Hull

Re: Instrument Rack Questions

Post by Richard Hull »

Racks are pretty much just racks. They are standardized at 19 inches, (width of inserted items), and often referred to as "19 inch racks". The height of a rack item is variable but always calibrated in "R" units i.e. 2R, 5R, etc. The rack unit is R=1-3/4" high. I believe the NIM bins are 5R units by standardization. Painted, blank off plates are commonly avaialable in all R units R1-R10 to cover open holes.

The nice sized rack for a table top would be no more than 24-30" tall. Tall rack cabinets are normally 72" tall. I would get a roll around rather than a fixed large cabinet if you decide on that.

I saw two beautiful shiney 72" tall blue racks at the last hamfest with a "FREE" sticker on them! Smaller racks are in high demand and command decent prices (up to $50.00). There are always racks for sale at hamfests.

Check out music stores (Mars, etc) and muscial amp supply catalogs. I have a friend who picked up a beautiful black molded plastic "road case" rack mount with nice aluminum trimmed lid, about 18" tall which was transportable. It was under $150.00 brand new.

I picked up my rack mount cabinet a couple of years back at a VA Beach hamfest and it is a mil. spec., giant, cadmium plated, 72" tall X 36" deep, roll around unit with a lovered, triple latching, fold up handle door with twin blowers and filter assembly in the base. The whole unit has silver braided EMP proof RF door and back seal gaskets. It is not as heavy as a similar steel rack, but is a real brute. I paid $35.00 for it and the guy breathed a sigh of relief when it left.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”