Alternative neutron detection method

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
r_c_edgar

Re: Alternative neutron detection method

Post by r_c_edgar »

After looking into this a bit, I concur that this method would work, and very possibly be better than the discrimination based on amplitude that most amateurs are familiar with. Gammas and neutrons produce different pulse shapes, which can be used to discriminate between them. In fact, there are NIM modules used specifically for this type of discrimination, called Pulse Shape Analyzers, etc. It looks like this is actually fairly frequently done; Ortec's web site (for their 552 NIM module) http://www.ortec-online.com/electronics/sca/552.htm actually mentions neutron/gamma discrimination as the most frequent application of pulse shape analyzer modules!

Also, as the neutrons interacting with the scintillator may produce pulses of many amplitudes, discriminating on shape rather than amplitude could be used to increase sensitivity on scintillator systems, (maybe make BC-400 a much better contender?)

On the other hand, BF3 and He3 proportional counters produce a monoenergetic pulse for all neutrons, from the charged particle that is emitted by the neutron interaction. Here, amplitude discrimination is definitely the way to go.

This is how I summarize my understanding at this point, between the discussion here and a few days of research on this idea on my own.

-Ryan Edgar

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”