shielding

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.

shielding

Post by guest »

What can I do in the way of shielding myself from neutrons and X-rays. I think boron will shield neutrons but do I just get a large block of Boron?
Richard Hull

Re: shielding

Post by Richard Hull »

A large number of discussions have covered this ground in the past and are in the archives. X-rays as seen from most fusors under 40kv will be stopped or be heavily attenuated by sheet lead only 1/16" thick. Fast neuts are best dealt with using a cast up mixture of parafin and borax in block form. Two inch thickness should do the trick and reduce the neutron hazards.

To my knowledge, no one on this list in the fusion club has produced enough real fusion for long enough runs to be worried or concerned about neutron hazards. For the most part, X-rays are not present either except at windowed ports. A small lead sheet cover will get rid of this quite well.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”