Eberline E600 manual and calibration software available

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Richard Hull

Re: Eberline E600 manual and calibration software available

Post by Richard Hull »

My original critical note on this item's interface remains intact. The instrument is great, but you need the complex and very thick manual to make it work with and for you. A gang of these old micro-processor overburdened instruments are floating around out there with no manual which is typically orphaned from its instrument as it is cast off as surplus. Eberline did a great job of isolating their instruments to future use without some lucky-find, new user "paying out".

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Romano Consul

Post by Romano Consul »

I own some ratemeters/scalers (Eberline, Ludlum and Bicron) but had the courageous idea to buy a used E600.
The problem is that I cannot even test it, without the appropriate cable, software and... manual.
Could anybody help me?

any hint will be appreciated.
Bob Callis

Post by Bob Callis »

I just won one of these from eBay. Like 99% of these on the second hand market mine has no cable. Have any of you installed a bnc socket? If so which wires do you tap into for the HV and ground? Thanks
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Any difficulty doing a simple google search?? I figured that was just too much...
We really put a premium of self-directed learning here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktQVwfo-s9w

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Bob Callis

Post by Bob Callis »

Richard Hull wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:44 pm Any difficulty doing a simple google search?? I figured that was just too much...
We really put a premium of self-directed learning here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktQVwfo-s9w

Richard Hull

Thanks Richard but I’ve made up dozens of bnc cables . I thought you made up a cable to replace the “smart cable” that’s always missing. Did yours have the smart cables. I was hoping someone added a bnc socket and taped into two of the wires going to the smart socket. I should just wait till the unit arrives and figure it out myself. I was just hoping someone had already done this and had some advice so I don’t blow mine up.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Sorry, is the smart cable the 9 pin serial? Or is this something I have never seen? 100% of these that I have ever seen have a MHV BNC on them and often a 9 pin computer interface!

Richard Hull
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

@Bob

Are you're talking about a round polarized connector with multiple pins? I have an Eberline ASP-2e with this connector for data transfer. I've actually been looking for more details on this connector and the only progress I've made at the moment is the manual that shows the pin-out of this 7pin connector (labeled as J2 on p198).

Otherwise, the probe connector is an MHV like Richard said.
Attachments
Thermo_ASP-2E.pdf
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 338 times
Bob Callis

Post by Bob Callis »

Joe Gayo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:33 pm @Bob

Are you're talking about a round polarized connector with multiple pins? I have an Eberline ASP-2e with this connector for data transfer. I've actually been looking for more details on this connector and the only progress I've made at the moment is the manual that shows the pin-out of this 7pin connector (labeled as J2 on p198).

Otherwise, the probe connector is an MHV like Richard said.
I’ve never handled a ASP-2 so I’m not familiar with it’s connectors.
I’m wondering if some here are confusing the ESP-2 with the E600.
Here’s a couple of pictures of the E600 and it’s “smart probe “ connect sockets. Image
Attachments
6776D56C-7AD9-4E58-9F82-A9CB66EA60EB.png
2AD76E00-6FEC-4697-83D2-7535CE255851.png
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I was, indeed, one of the confused. Sorry about that.

Richard Hull
Bob Callis

Post by Bob Callis »

No worries Richard. When I reread your reply to the original post way back in 2008 where you said “
given only six keys, and a 10 or 12 digit display“
it made me think that was the case . It only took 13 years to clear this up . ;) Anyway in a few days when I get this thing and tear into it I’ll let everyone know what I find and if I’m able to dumb it down with a bnc setup.

Btw, for anyone that is looking here’s the link to the 128 page manual for it . Looks like a good set of schematics as well.

http://www.equipcoservices.com/pdf/manu ... _e-600.pdf
Bob Callis

Post by Bob Callis »

A few pictures of the insides of the C600
Attachments
D18D2CC5-0FAF-40B9-B300-D0A537F40D97.jpeg
167D482D-B402-48BA-899F-7AFBA451A7BD.jpeg
1F52DA34-13DB-4629-860C-F807D954B4E2.jpeg
CEB24004-2D14-4F77-9E14-97749BC04C64.jpeg
42DD9423-8244-4ECE-8614-431B7C94236A.jpeg
Bob Callis

Post by Bob Callis »

Successful installed Eberline E-600 Interface Program software on my old XP laptop. Now to make an interface cable.
A3B9D4F8-66D4-4DED-BA22-00AE1F29CEDF.jpeg

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”