Problem with Canberra Series 30

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.

Problem with Canberra Series 30

Postby Weiss » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Hello everybody,

Since Yesterday I own a Canberra series 30 MCA. But I've a little Problem. I connected my Bicron Na(I) Scintillation Detector with the MCA. The MCS and MCSR Mode works wonderful. But the PHA mode, doesn't work. I have no count, except of the counts in channel zero, which are marking the time. Also I have only 512 Channels, but in the Manual is written, the there are 1024 channels. Can you help me?

Much greetings,

Daniel Weiss

P.S. I'm sorry for my English, I'm a Student from Germany and my English isn't very well ;) But I hope it will be better soon ;)
Weiss

Re: Problem with Canberra Series 30

Postby richnormand » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:48 pm

I have (somewhat poor but usable) scans in pdf of the service manual for the series 30 if you are interested.

Also does your dead time indicator shoots to 100% or stays at 0% while counting zero. Mine did that and it turned out to be a adjustment pot in the Wilkensen AD convertor circuit that was open.Indeed the MCS mode worked OK too but not the pha mode.On my old unit I found broken rework wires, blown tantalum capacitors and dry electrolytics in the power supply and the crt display board. Seems to work for about a year between repairs.

I would follow the signal from the input, check overdriven or blown
preamp, board 1 and board 2 (does the adc has input, uld/lld circuits) Was the threshold adjustment modified? Do a quick memory test by pressing the red button on to of board one (if I remember correctly) to see if part of it is missing or the selectron switch had a bad contact. Then put a test pulse from a signal generator in low sensitivity to bypass the pream circuit altogether and check the ad convertor.

Lots of stuff can cause this, you will need a good scope to follow the signal and find where in the process it goes missing. My first test would be to check for power on each board and dirty intermittent contacts and adjustment pots as this was the bulk of my issues.
richnormand

Postby lightningt5 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi I have just goten hold of a 3100. I am in the UK helping several aviation museums deal with their collection of radio active exhibits.

I am also helping with a group looking into this fusion issue.

I am retired from the British Met. Office Met Research flight. they did the same kind'a thing as NCAR Bolder Colarado.

Trying to put together a usable monitoring suite of instruments on a Government pension!!!!

so need all the he;p- there is going.

Rod Barker.
lightningt5

Postby billwcf » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:13 am

Rich, I have two model 30's. One is doa and the other exhibits some of the same behaviors as Daniel's. I would greatly appreciate if you would also send me the pdfs; as I am missing a lot of pages in my manual. Thanks. -bill
billwcf

Postby richnormand » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:52 am

Just sent you the whole file about 5 min ago (about 7meg in size). Return message is failure in delivery. So I sent you a short note to let you know and got the same message again. Is your forum email OK? Got your initial email request OK.
richnormand

Postby billwcf » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:01 am

Rich, wfain@embarqmail.com should work unless there is a size limit on my email somehow. Another solution would be to post it to the files section of the forum. Thanks. -bill
billwcf

Postby richnormand » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:37 am

tried that a few years ago and got a message it was too big. should try it again with the "new improved" forum.

To the moderator: is there a file size limit and how big is it?
richnormand

Postby Jon Rosenstiel » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:08 am

In the past I've used one of the many free file uploading / file sharing services.

Here is just one example:
http://www.uploading.com/

Jon Rosenstiel
Jon Rosenstiel

Postby Weiss » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Hallo everybody,

thanks to you! At the moment I have no time, so I couldn't test the MCA, but in a few weeks i have time, and i will open the MCA.

Okey, this scentence was grammatically very, very wrong.

Greetings,

Daniel
Weiss

Postby lightningt5 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi

Could you send me the pdf to my email at r.barker@tesco.net.

The 3100 I have has board 5 missing and the module in the back is missing what was its function.
I notice a lead going to the HV led on the front panel was it a HV generator?

jb154

richnormand wrote:
> I have (somewhat poor but usable) scans in pdf of the service manual for the series 30 if you are interested.
>
> Also does your dead time indicator shoots to 100% or stays at 0% while counting zero. Mine did that and it turned out to be a adjustment pot in the Wilkensen AD convertor circuit that was open.Indeed the MCS mode worked OK too but not the pha mode.On my old unit I found broken rework wires, blown tantalum capacitors and dry electrolytics in the power supply and the crt display board. Seems to work for about a year between repairs.
>
> I would follow the signal from the input, check overdriven or blown
> preamp, board 1 and board 2 (does the adc has input, uld/lld circuits) Was the threshold adjustment modified? Do a quick memory test by pressing the red button on to of board one (if I remember correctly) to see if part of it is missing or the selectron switch had a bad contact. Then put a test pulse from a signal generator in low sensitivity to bypass the pream circuit altogether and check the ad convertor.
>
> Lots of stuff can cause this, you will need a good scope to follow the signal and find where in the process it goes missing. My first test would be to check for power on each board and dirty intermittent contacts and adjustment pots as this was the bulk of my issues.
lightningt5

Next

Return to Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)