Radio waves readings from fusion

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Will Caruana

Radio waves readings from fusion

Post by Will Caruana »

I was wondering if fusion of deuterium is producing a 1420mhz signal much like you would get from space using a radio telescope to see hydrogen lines. Has anyone tried or would be willing to see what the output is like? I was thinking of trying this on my demo fusor but I do not have a hydrogen source for it. A software defined radio like the RTL2832U would be able to do this and it only costs around $10-$20.
Chris Bradley

Re: Radio waves readings from fusion

Post by Chris Bradley »

Let us know the result! I can't see it would tell you much, and be swamped by electrical noise, but if you are going to try then hope to see the report soon!
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

Guess I'll have to hook up an antenna to my spectrum analyzer set up near the fusor and see what I see.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The fusor is an electrically noisy device due to the manner of powering it. You might expect the spherical chamber to emit a surprisingly heavy, shock excited cavity resonance related to its size if taking a reading at a glass view port. Good luck in ferreting out the wheat from the chaff.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

I used my frequency counter that is good to 2.8 Ghz on my fusor and also on Richard's. There is a huge amount of noise and a peak from the HV cable length. Usually the dominate frequency is in the 50 Mhz region.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Will Caruana

Post by Will Caruana »

I just used my RTL2832U usb software defined radio to look at waves that might be coming from the plasma. I needed to get in an antenna adapter in before I could use it again so it could plug into my 2m/440 mobile antenna. The software I am using is HDSDR v2.7. I noticed a clear up tick in noise when the HV was turned on. I was monitoring 1420110.5 and 1420113.5 I when I set the Resolution BandWidth to 15.3Hz I could clearly see that the noise was in fact pulsing. This should be because I am running one side of the NST into a diode and then into the chamber as my source of high voltage. I do plan on taking another look to get the cycle time of the pulse and make a recording of it. I will also rerun this when I put in a capacitor any recommendations on a good capacitor would be appreciated.

Update: I ran this again with out the vacuum chamber to see if it was just the NST or variac giving off the pulse. I did not notice any extra noise from those devices this including when I arced the one of the outputs to the NST case.
Dan Tibbets

Post by Dan Tibbets »

I;m not sure what your wavelength/ frequency corresponds to- helium 3, tritium? There have been discussions here before of trying to spectroscopically detect helium as an indicator of fusion. The main problem is that the amount of helium is stupendously low. Picking up a signal over even a tiny noise floor would be pratically impossible.

Some number:. If the fusor is at ~ 10 Microns, that is about 1/ 100,000 of an atmosphere or ~ 10^20 Deuteriums per cubic meter, or ~ 10^14 per cc. If you are getting very good fusion rates of ~ 1-2 million per second, and you run for 1,000 seconds and none of the resulting heliums are pumped out or absorbed to surfaces, then you would have ~ 10 ^9 heliums in the chamber. Assuming a chamber volume of ~ 1 liter yields a helium density of ~ 10^6 /cc. This is a density ~ 1/ 10^8 or ~ 0.00000001 times that of the deuterium present. If you can detect the deuterium with a signal to noise ratio of say 1000, this would still be ~ 0.00001 of the signal strength needed to detect the helium. The Fusor simply does not produce enough fusion products to be detected in such fashion. Detection through radiation is a different matter. The signal is proportionately much stronger.

Dan Tibbets

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”