Fusor without inner grid?

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.

Fusor without inner grid?

Postby Rinze Joustra » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:49 am

To find this out I've made a computer program to simulate the movement of charged particles in an electric and magnetic field (in vacuum).
Coulomb's law, Biot-Savart formulism and Leapfrog integration is used (non-relativistic).

First I came across a configuration that confines only positive ions (or electrons). But I discovered that this was quite similar to the already existing Penning trap and would not be very effective to produce fusion, because of the nonneutrality of Penning trap plasmas.

Then I changed it a bit and now it's possible to trap both positive deuterium ions and electrons. The design just needs a constant magnetic field of about 1 tesla and a couple of rings and small spheres with a voltage of about +/- 200 kV. Depending of the polarity of the rings & spheres, there are two possible configurations. The ions and electrons are generated in the program with random speeds up to 3E6 m/s in all directions (and still keep confined).

But.., this is only a simulation with very few particles (no more than 500 or 1000), the simulation time is very small and it doesn't prove that any fusion would take place..

If you are interested:

http://www.valgetal.com/physics/Droomid ... g.%206.jpg (1e configuration)
http://www.valgetal.com/physics/Droomid ... 0fig.7.jpg (2e configuration)
http://www.valgetal.com/physics/Droomid ... oom11.html (calculations, screenshots etc.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvvv1YLbuLY&t=11s (video capture of a simulation)

Thank you for your time and regards
Rinze Joustra

Re: Fusor without inner grid?

Postby Dan Knapp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Interesting results. What you have modeled is a variation on the Malmberg-Penning particle trap. The fly in the ointment would be actually building a device and maintaining 400 kV standoff in the presence of a conductive plasma. If you're interested in pursuing the subject further, you need to do a literature search to learn what has already been done. For example, there is extensive literature on the Penning trap as a fusion reactor, and theory predicts that it could even produce net energy (google D. Barnes and D. Nebel). Practical realization has the same problem with high voltage standoff, and no one has yet actually done fusion in a Penning trap. Your conclusion that it wouldn't work because the plasma is non-neutral is incorrect; that is precisely how it does work in theory. You should also read about the polywell, another gridless fusion device that uses electric and magnetic fields (google Park, and there are entire web sites devoted to the Polywell). Finally, there is one paper in the literature on the planar fusion reactor, a much simpler design of a gridless IEC device that does not use a magnetic field (google D. Knapp). So far this design has also only been modeled. Keep modeling! That's how new designs will be found!
Dan Knapp

Postby Rinze Joustra » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:02 am

Thank you for your constructive reply!

Yes, I will continue, although the coming period I will be very busy to make a living.

By the way, perhaps I gave the particles in the simulation an excessive high initial speed. With an initial speed up to 1E6 m/s they stay confined with “only” +/- 80 kV and with a magnetic field of 0.6 tesla. See the attached picture.

The electrons are a lot easier to trap, because of their small mass. In the shown configuration they stay close to the centre, where they could form a virtual cathode (reading about fusion with Penning traps, I’ve understood that this has already been studied and tried out).

By placing the positive charges on top and down under, the D+ ions are confined by the external B and E-field and will be attracted (I suppose) by the electron cloud in the centre.

Regards
Attachments
Exp 11.20   3.11E-6  s initial speed 1 E6  +- 80 kV reversed polarities klein.jpg
Rinze Joustra

Postby Dennis P Brown » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:14 pm

I would say a
magnetic field of 0.6 tesla
is one strong field! The trick, of course, is sealing such a "bottle" and this standard mirror design has never worked very well when used in the 60's/70's and were abandoned for that reason. Also, producing 0.6 Tesla field over any standard fusor is a task requiring massive magnets - a 40 cm gap is rather huge for such a field. Maybe super conductors would work in this case but that is a bit over what most amateur's have access to ...I would think. ;)
Dennis P Brown

Return to Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)