Novel method to increase proton-proton collisons

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Dennis P Brown

Novel method to increase proton-proton collisons

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Here is a short, condensed article on how an accelerator group doubled its proton-proton collision rate. Using electron beams to help reduce proton like charge repulsion. The method would be applicable to deuteron guns if a magnetic field and an e-gun were both used. That increase while nice wouldn't be too impressive but the method is interesting none-the-less.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 212238.htm
Jeroen Vriesman

Re: Novel method to increase proton-proton collisons

Post by Jeroen Vriesman »

Interesting...

They use the electron beam as a way to focus the proton beam before the collisions happen, more focus=more collisions.

I don't exactly see how that could be applied to a fusor, but the idea of using electrons to compensate the repelling force of the protons is somewhat related to using a virtual cathode (like in the polywell).
Very different from the focus technique in the paper, they are using it for spin-aligned protons at relativistic speeds (near c the magnetic field of the beam itself compensates the repelling force of the proton charge in the lab frame of reference, in the beam frame of reference there is not enough time for the protons to repel each other).

the deuterons in a fusor are not at relativistic speeds, so that's very different.

When using a virtual cathode (an intense electron beam can also be a virtual cathode) I would look at the debye length to see if any substantial screening effect could be possible..thinking about that it would require a very short debye length to influence the proton-proton collisions, so that would mean a pressure way higher than the usual vacuum, creating a virtual cathode with a potential high enough for fusion needs a high vacuum.

I don't see any way to use the proton beam focussing method in a fusor.
luke jarzebczyk

Re: Novel method to increase proton-proton collisons

Post by luke jarzebczyk »

This could be useful to reactor designs involving an Ion beam. Just from my limited knowledge base I will be incorporating a CRT tv as my Ion beam gun and because electrons and protons have opposite charges current has to flow in the opposite direction unless you want protons to move away from the core. Others can Use CRT tvs for this and most models that I have found use voltages of 20kv-37kv so just to transforming component could be harvested for most starters. Just a Idea

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”