Inner Grid Rings and High Voltage Feedthrough

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Caine Ardayfio

Inner Grid Rings and High Voltage Feedthrough

Post by Caine Ardayfio »

Hello Fusioneers,
I was wondering how I would connect the inner grid to a high voltage feedthrough. I have soldered a machine screw to the inner grid attached like the picture attached. How would I go about connecting this inner grid to the feedthrough?
-Caine
Attachments
m36_projects_fusor-4e.jpg
Last edited by Caine Ardayfio on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Futter

Re: Demo vs Non-Demo Nuclear Fusion

Post by John Futter »

Caine
this is not spoonfeeding 101
this question should have been asked in the New User Chat Area.
If you had read all the faq's you would already know the answer
Caine Ardayfio

Re: Inner Grid Rings and High Voltage Feedthrough

Post by Caine Ardayfio »

I changed my question to be more specific now.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The HV feed-thru, if professional, will have a metal rod stalk. You must internally thread that stalk with a tap & die set to match your grid's thread.

First, however, you must compute the length of stalk that will, once the grid is screwed in, center the grid within you device. This will usually mean cutting the stalk to this proper length and then threading it internally.

Using a non-professional feed-thru, you will have to create a threaded stalk post of proper length.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

That grid is very pretty, but if it is tin-lead soldered together, it should be pretty much guaranteed to fall apart in a plasma. If you look around the forum you should find many pictures of tungsten grids glowing red in a plasma.

I think most grids that have been used are some kind of bent wire clamped together at the connection point.
Rex Allers
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

For demo fusors some people make a curly-cue grid out of a single SS or tungsten wire with no joints.

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”