Triple grid design at LANL

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
marsbeyond

Re: Triple grid design at LANL

Post by marsbeyond »

larry how do i attach a picture like this?
grrr6

Post by grrr6 »

below the enter text part of the reply window, you should see

Attachments :
Select a file to attach (from your hard disk) :

Easy as pie! mmmmm pie
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

Carl,

I think i was not clear. I know that the cylindrical grid is an old thing, i proposed it more than a year ago (then i came to know that it is in the Hirsch patent, and that others have used it, then i came up with the toroid grid but that wasn't really new either).
What i propose now is a spiral of a cylinder, a tube coil, a coil of a tube. A cylinder wound up like the wire of a single layer coil, creating several turns. It's a bit hard to describe (though very simple). I'm posting a low-end drawing to show it. On the left is the wound up cylinder (cylindrical grid wound up; cut away view its a spiral not rings), and on the right is the shape of the plasma string forming (in theory). This is a standing coil.

Adam
Attachments
spiral.jpg
spiral.jpg (16.01 KiB) Viewed 3854 times
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have images in hand of larger cylindrical Hirsch- Meeks grids from the 60s! Gene Meeks was in charge of testing them out and said they worked just fine. They never got a chance to push the envelope with them before ITT pulled the plug. So IEC cylindricals go back to at least 1963. Nothing new under the sun here.

A coil would, of course, make a fine cylindrical grid.

The cylinder might offer more reactant volume in a larger fusor, and 10e12 or even 10e14 isotropic emission might be possible with D-D if the reaction zone volume were beefed up along with the acceleration voltage. My 10e8-10e10 upper limit figure was for small, spherical amateur units where only the voltage was raised.

The sky is the limit in D-D if you have the money, space, input power and a willingness to go through them all with gusto.

Give me a boulder damn mains outlet, an old B-36 "peacemaker" aircraft hanger and a few hundred million and I'll give you D-D fusion flux levels that exceed that of a fission power reactor's core! It would still be only .0000001% efficient though.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

I was thinking of winding up the cylinder, because it will work like a long straight cylinder, but consumes a LOT less space. Using such a grid system a plasma string (in spiral shape) as long as several meters can be contained in a less then a meter long half meter diameter chamber, and that would mean a lot of plasma in a small space.
Even in a bell jar that is for eg. 30 cm high and 20 cm in diamater could contain at least a meter of such a plasma spiral.
Apart from this there is nothing new in the design.

Adam

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”