Another hybrid design idea

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Adam Szendrey

Another hybrid design idea

Post by Adam Szendrey »

Hi all,

I'm posting an image of a hybrid design proposal, for a cylindrical fusor. Not really complicated, and i think it's quite practical.
In the center you can see the chamber with a large wievport (this chamber is the one i'm working on), and inside the grids.
The blue thing is water, the rods all around the chamber are the boron fuel rods (SS rods filled with boron oxide).
The rods are spaced from the chamber wall so the water can slow down neutrons.
This is a "cutaway" image ofcourse.
There would be a cover on top of the water tank, and steam could exit through a pipe. Water can be added through another pipe.
Existing cylindrical chambers can be converted, by constructing this tubular water container with the boron fuel rods (with an inner wall ofcourse).
So what do you think?

*** I have updated the image, showing the cover partially.

Adam

Ps.: The image is proportional.
Attachments
hybrid3_low.jpg
3l

Re: Another hybrid design idea

Post by 3l »

Hi Adam:

That's pretty much the idea I'm going to try first.
I just bought the steel tubing and will cut it to 6 " lengths.
Weld on a plug on each end.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

Larry will you be using cylindrical grids or spherical?
I'm eager to see your results.
I wonder how many pulses are required for the water to start boiling.
How "intense" is the boron fission reaction?
BTW i was thinking of drilling holes in the cover where the tubes are welded to it, so boron can be added into the tubes there (i think that is what you have in mind).
This design is best when the fusor is a couple times longer than it's diameter (most of the neuts hit boron).
I think a spherical design is much harder to maintaince.

Adam
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I would think several hundred million pulses deliverd over a year or two should barely make the water boil, (Due to neutrons/boron only, of course), but only at its lowest carnot efficiency.

Not a Joke! Just crunched the numbers!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Folks:

Richard is correct at the levels now produced.
The fun part will arrive if and when the pulse levels are successfully raised to the terrawatt level.
I have no illusions on that part.
a Flux of 10^13 neutrons per second is the level that the hybrid will work at....not Lower.
I'm still trying to get up into the 100 GW range.
A hundred fold increase of the present rate
I am still getting the 100 kv pulse setup ready ,so I can run a pulse test as Richard has outlined. Some unexspected insulation problems popped up but they are being eliminated one by one.
The xray wire I got from Ebay dried out and cracked.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
Q

Post by Q »

another fuel possibility that i have been examining is bismuth. yeah, i know, it isn't really fissable.... but neutron bombardment transmutates and we ultimately get polonium 210. short halflife, lotsa heat, lotsa gamma- not that that is a good thing, but....

the neutron capture crossection is lower, but the neuts dont have to be completely thermalized. the advantage is that polonium gets really hot. 1 mgram puts out as many alphas as 5 grams of radium! plus it decays into stable lead. and yes, there would be some side reactions going on, but i do not think that it would be too much of a problem. the biggest issue is the need for lead, lots of lead.
so, thoughts, ideas?
Q
Q

Post by Q »

adam,
this is almost exactly what i had been planning.
i am quite interested in your cylindrical fusor design, have you built one of these?
btw, excelent picture!
Q
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

So in essence, with a powerfull enough pulse system ,the pulse number required for the water to start boiling will significantly shorten.
The good thing about water around the chamber itself is that the rest of the input power (which is not used up for fusion, thus most of it) mostly goes to heating the chamber wall, and this will also heat this water jacket.
1TW sounds quite extreme. How will the grid withstand it even for a nanosecond?
How much fusion power do you expect @ 1 TW Larry?
10-100 W?

Adam
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

It's in progress :). I'm currently at the stage of constructing the chamber. I will then try this cylindrical design.
Thanks!

Adam
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Adam:

I'm hoping the neutron numbers start going in an exponential curve at some point. So far it looks unlikely. That terrawatt
figure is a peak wattage the average wattage will be lower by many magnitudes. The grid will radiate heat and cool between shots . The material issues will be grim as usual.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
gpierce

Post by gpierce »

Just a couple ideas to add. First, I would suggest a second set of rods staggered to the outside of the first set, so that any neutrons will always have to pass through a rod on it's way to the outer wall. The outer wall should be made of a neutron-reflective material of course, and the inner wall and fuel rods should be composed of a material that is relatively transparent to neutrons, such as a zirconium alloy like Zircalloy.

Just my loose change...

Greg
Royce Jones

Post by Royce Jones »

I am looking at a change in the basic architecture of the Fusor as the starting point for future development, possibly leading to a Fusion/Fission reactor. I have rearranged the Fusor in an attempt to make it more effective. I call this the Linear Focused Fusion Reactor.

The Linear Focused Fusion Reactor is a form of “Fusor” but with a substantially different architecture. The architecture is cylindrical rather than spherical (there are some cylindrical Fusors), linear and focused from just two directions (compared to 360 degrees). The goal of this effort is to build a Linear Focused Fusion Reactor that can generate high neutron levels for use in a Fusion/Fission Engine for space energy and propulsion. The device is relatively simple and inexpensive to construct and based on well understood physics.

Benefits of the new architecture:
Compact cylindrical shape.
The fuel is completely ionized before it enters the reactor from each end. Current designs most often ionize the fuel slowly after it enters the reactor resulting in a very low level of active ions (>1%).
The reactor has a mechanism for confinement of low energy ions, at each end, which keeps them from flooding the reactor thereby reducing low energy (unproductive) collisions.
The center cathode grid is two-dimensional (rather than spherical), there are only two ways to approach the grid and each way is 180 degrees opposite resulting in high speed ion collisions. This is a major change in architecture and a patentable design.
The reactor operates at the “sweet spot” of D-T fusion at 100,000 volts on the center grid. However, this is achieved with only 50,000 volts since the well is two sided. Ions approaching the grid from either side are capable of fusion at or near the grid.
Another unique feature is that the ions that don’t fuse are collected at the end grids until they have sufficient energy to escape toward the center grid for another attempt. This keeps ions from randomly flowing around the reactor causing low energy collisions.
Permanent magnets are used to help confine the ions into a narrow band toward the center of the well.
Attachments
Linear Reactor
Linear Reactor
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Why are you using a old post by someone else (and 2004 no less)? Shouldn't you start a new thread?
Royce Jones

Post by Royce Jones »

Perhaps, but since it was related to Fusion/Fission it I just jumped in here.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Just that your thread and their's will confuse search features. Best to define your own thread.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

A new thread better allows searches and responses.
Royce Jones

Post by Royce Jones »

A new thread was created.

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”