Neutron Source

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Steven Sesselmann

Neutron Source

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

I found this old web page with a different design for a neutron generator. It may have been discussed before, but I post it again, because it looks neat.

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Arc ... rator.html

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Richard Hull

Re: Neutron Source

Post by Richard Hull »

I think this is, effectively, the plasma focus device discussed recently in the theory forum.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7122#p48994

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Richard,

No, it is not the same idea, focus fusion is a pulsed devise, this one is is a solid target devise. It is basically a fusor inside out. I think it might have a beryllium target, possibly using Tritium and Deuterium.

Instead of the ions focusing in the centre, the polarity has been reversed, so the ions move out from the grid and hit the cylindrical target that surrounds the grid.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Oh, so this a simple old target device and not an IEC device like the fusor. That's old technology and common to all on-off neutron sources, just with a new twist. (larger target area). It iwll need a lot of volts as a simple target device compared to a fusor.

At one time I heard a lot of wind blow across the decks here about a sausage shaped cylindrical IEC fusor grid work. To my knowledge it remains so much wind, though I am sure it would do fusion.

The Farnsworth team investigated the sausage grid. I have images of some intricate grid work they did somewhere in my collection. Team member Fred Haak did a lot of their more complicated spot weld grids as he was taken from the ITT tube lab at Pontiac street to join the team permanently sometime in 1962.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Mike Beauford

Post by Mike Beauford »

Hi Richard - Could you post a picture or info about the sausage grid. I was thinking of eventually investigating that type of design after I get through the first 2 design phases of my fusor experimentation.
Mike Beauford
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I'll cast about for the image. I have so much of it scattered and the upstairs lab is currently a mess as I am trying to archive all my old 8mm and VHS to DVD. I have lived long enough now to know that no matter what media you have it will not remain useable or viable over what seems to now be ever shorter periods of time. I started out in the 50's with 8mm motion pictures, Then Beta I, then VHS then 8mm video and I skipped DV CAM video to go to DVD.

I believe I have the sausage grid image either on one of video interviews 8MM when in Fort Wayne or it is on a floppy disk I used in my mavica to photograph some of George Bain's poloroid images. If I can remember this evening, I will try and fetch it.

If found, I will post it in the construction forum.

Richard Hull
Mike Beauford

Post by Mike Beauford »

Wow! Not to sound like it's dating you, but I've never heard someone express thier age vs. a multi-media format before that spanned so many. :) Kudo's to you for outlasting most of them!
Mike Beauford

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”