Advanced fuels (theoretical)

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
ngawel

Advanced fuels (theoretical)

Post by ngawel »

I have read about the P-B11 which seems like a nice reaction, if you could overcome the lower cross-section limitations (i.e. make the OTHER stuff work first)...but theoretically, how could you achieve P-B11? Normally you have a plasma initially form from a gas. This seems like it would be difficult in the case of Boron. (Typically solid?) (Beam-target?) Any thoughts?
Richard Hull

Re: Advanced fuels (theoretical)

Post by Richard Hull »

Please use the search feature where you will find this question has been asked and answered about a trillion times over the last 9 years in virtually every forum.

These reaction has been discussed to death in all the rich glowing terms such theoretical machinations see tendered and, yet, not one single move has been made to implement it that has seen a single boron atom accelerated.

It is the most beautiful and darling of reactions. It gets taken to all the finest parties, and everyone wants to dance with it, but alas, it is never taken home to get at the goods afterwards. In short, just another pretty face. Perhaps the prettiest.

If you read all the old postings on this beauty, (hundreds), You will see why it is a very abandoned reaction in the amateur community. The pros don't fart with it either, in any honest sense of the word, but they still take it to all the best parties where hopeful courting fusioneers gather.

Note* There are calimants here actively working and hoping to do this pretty thing, but thus far, nada.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
nathematics

Re: Advanced fuels (theoretical)

Post by nathematics »

I have some ideas about this and I will continue to research it.
Boron becomes a good conductor of electricity at high temperature. My idea is this:
1) As temperature of solid boron is raised, we remove electrons from the boron to make it positive.
2) Positive boron plasma is formed.
3) Further steps are taken to create and isolate more positively ionized boron. We wish to combine boron nuclei with protons, so electrons bound to the nuclei are just getting in the way.

Another way that might work would be to start with a gaseous (and toxic) boron compound like boron trifluoride. Create plasma from gas and separate the boron and the fluoride. The separation could be done electromagnetically.

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”