Chamber wall temperature

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Ryan

Chamber wall temperature

Post by Ryan »

Hi,
I read the previous post and know that the chamber wall lies around 130 C. Is there any way to mathematically prove this?
Ryan

Re: Chamber wall temperature

Post by Ryan »

And wat wud be the main heat transfer mechanism......?
Richard Hull

Re: Chamber wall temperature

Post by Richard Hull »

Chamber Wall? Are you talking about a fusor's chamber wall? The temperature is always empirically measured with accurate thermocouples or FLIR devices. I can't imagine the need for calculations proving this to be the case. No one, to my knowledge, has ever done any form of calorimetry on a fusor system.

A fusor normally consumes from 400-1000 watts from the main outlet to maintain the plasma operation. Fully, 90% of this energy winds up in the chamber wall as heat for any number of reasons too numerous to attempt to list here. The main transfer mechanism is electron bombardment for sure and for certain.

It is logical and reasonable that the wall will heat significantly due to losses and never due to fusion. Being 304 stainless, the entire fusor is not a good conductor of heat and this heat would tend to buildup over time to some stasis point. The largest thermal mass is not normally the chamber wall, itself, but the two giant, 1-inch thick SS conflat rings holding the .060-inch thick hemisphere's together.

There are a lot of conditions that affect the wall temperature which is never the same on any run.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”