New project with Isaac and Liam

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Isaac Boehm

New project with Isaac and Liam

Post by Isaac Boehm »

First of all I want to apologize I think this is the best suited forum for this subject but be sure to tell me if I'm wrong. Forum member Liam Foyle and I have started designing our first true fusor. Our interests for uses of this unit include producing Hᵌ and medical isotopes for hospitals. We are both very excited about this project. If you have any questions ask!
I can't think that it would be terrible of me to say – and it is occasionally true – that I need physics more than friends. -Robert J Oppenheimer
Rich Feldman

Re: New project with Isaac and Liam

Post by Rich Feldman »

I think your original post (above) would not be out of place under Introductions.

Glad to see your thin air set aglow pictures.

Here's a very practical and relatively inexpensive next step after demonstrating plasma.
Measure its voltage and its current, and have the wisdom to know the difference.
Learn why NST nameplate values (or even Glassman HVPS nameplate values, T.O.)
are -far- from sufficient for you to know your electrical operating point.

Then at the next level of investment, a suitable gauge for the vacuum level,
you can learn a heck of a lot just by characterizing the demo system as you adjust the vacuum and power supplies.
That's with no radiation detector, no high vacuum pump, no deuterium supply.

-Rich
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Rich has given sage advice. Stop and smell th' roses. Get a good gauge and play with the demo system to see how pressure and voltage affect current and the glow mode plasma. This will save a lot of heartache and wasted deuterium later in a real fusor. I spent 1 full year 97-98 with fusor I and II as demo systems and reading Von Engels, "ionized Gases". Of course there was no one else at all to talk to....no fusor.net.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Isaac Boehm

Post by Isaac Boehm »

What sort of gauge should I get penning, thermocouple, etc.
I can't think that it would be terrible of me to say – and it is occasionally true – that I need physics more than friends. -Robert J Oppenheimer
Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy »

You'll need two of them most likely - say a thermocouple gauge working alongside a penning gauge or something to that tune if my understanding is correct, it's all in the FAQs man, all of it.

Tom

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”