Why are we fusing deuterium?

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Cameron Palte

Why are we fusing deuterium?

Post by Cameron Palte »

Hello everyone,
I've been reading up online and I am curious as to why everyone on this forum talks about only deuterium - deuterium fusion. I understand that deuterium - tritium fusion is harder for amateurs because of how regulated tritium is but why don't people do normal propium (hydrogen without the neutron) fusion?
John Futter

Re: Why are we fusing deuterium?

Post by John Futter »

Cameron
mostly because we have trouble accelerating the protons to the required multiple MeV level
Richard Hull

Re: Why are we fusing deuterium?

Post by Richard Hull »

Proton-proton fusion is impossible to any signifcant degree on earth unless you are in the billion plus dollar class and even then no really significant numbers are possible. No energy ever from P-P fusion except in stellar cores. Sorry 'bout that.

For those of us spending less than $5,000, it is deuterium fusion or no fusion at all. Deuterium fusion can be done by the serious amateur to achieve useful amounts of real fusion for further experiments and as a source of neutrons. It is impossible to utilize its energy output, of course.

As for other possible and much discussed fusion fuels?....No P-B11, no D-3He....Sorry again. Thus, the talk, here, of only deuterium fusion.

Richrd Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”