OT: magnetic vibrations outside MW-oven?

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Sven Andersson

OT: magnetic vibrations outside MW-oven?

Post by Sven Andersson »

This is slightly off topic, but perhaps the moderator will allow it anyway.

I ran a cup of tea in the MW-oven and held a powerful neodymium magnet (20x25 mm cylinder) half an inch from the window and felt vibrations in the magnet! Without touching the micro, that is. It's a new MW-oven that has not been tampered with in any way. It was (of course) closed during this.

Vibrations increase when I hold the magnet closer to the outlet for MW's. Comments?
Rich Feldman

Re: OT: magnetic vibrations outside MW-oven?

Post by Rich Feldman »

You are feeling the effect of a mains-frequency oscillating magnetic field, maybe leakage from the MO's power transformer, partly shielded by sheet metal. Try different orientations of the magnet.

Try holding your magnet close to a motor running on AC. Fan, blender, vacuum cleaner, corded power tool, etc., preferably without a steel enclosure. An electric pencil sharpener just worked for me.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
prestonbarrows

Re: OT: magnetic vibrations outside MW-oven?

Post by prestonbarrows »

This is certainly just the mains lines and/or oven transformer throwing out EMI.

Microwaves are in the GHz range, much much much to fast to ever detect by touch. Mains lines are 60/50 Hz which is easily felt or heard. In any case, the microwaves are contained within the conductive shell of the oven.

When you use kilowatts of power from a standard 120V line, you are throwing 10's of amps around. The oven transformer is literally a set of big electromagnets. These transformers are also notoriously cheap and tend to have high leakages. This creates a substantial magnetic field if un-shielded. That characteristic hum you hear around electrical equipment is this same effect where 60/50Hz mains frequencies creates oscillating magnetic fields which rattle around components at that same frequency.

I can say from experience that this happens near anything using that level of power like an AC motors, isolation transformers or other beefy machinery. Repeat your test near those and you will see the same result; this is nothing to do with spooky microwaves.

For low-impedance, high-current type EMI like this, any thick conductors between the current and yourself will have eddy currents induced in them and act to damp out the effect.

Also be careful waving around big neo magnets like that; it is easy to get too close to a bit of unnoticed metal and crush a finger.

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”