Sonofusion - News - Latest SF results verify old results

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Richard Hull

Sonofusion - News - Latest SF results verify old results

Post by Richard Hull »

Hey All,
I have seen quite a bit on this news story- figured I would post a couple links and see if anyone has any comments on it. Sounds pretty interesting if it works.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994741
http://www.rpi.edu/web/News/press_relea ... /lahey.htm

-Eddie B.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
dlsworks

Re: Sonofusion - News - Latest SF results verify old results

Post by dlsworks »

Not such as mentioned.....
....don't know what to say? Sono fusion eludes me in it's mechanisms,........aside from that, I have a hard time dealing, though, with the incesant need of the media to find punctuation with-in doubt for tabletop fusion, and there touters. It's a little known fact,....high-lighted by experts such as yourself, Richard,..that despite the sensibilities of the lay-man to attribute fusion, almost exclusively, to an environment with temperatures in the hundreds of millions of degrees.... in actuallity one only needs those conditions per a particle interaction. This explanation was really helpful in turning me on to IEC in the first place let alone all the other varieties sought after....

WIthin the contexts of this thread i hope......what about this recent news? DOE to revist cold fusion.

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/2 ... -3573r.htm
Brian McDermott

Re: Sonofusion - News - Latest SF results verify old results

Post by Brian McDermott »

Sonoluminescence results from the cavitation (implosion) of micron-sized bubbles in a liquid that has been excited by ultrasonic pulses. A very short (picosecond) flash of light is produced by this cavitation, and this process occurs many times per second.

So, if one uses a deuterated solution, it is hypothesized that the bubble cavitation confines the deuterium in solution to the point at which it fuses. This implosion-like process could be considered to be along the lines of atomic bombs and laser fusion. After all, the fuels used in these systems start out at roughly ambient temperature anyway.

The big argument is that there is no evidence of KeV energies in the system, therefore fusion must be impossible. I won't be the one to debate this, as there has not been enough experimentation to support or refute this idea.

It would be interesting if data regarding cavitation velocity could be examined, as the energies involved could be inferred.

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”