Accelerator Fusion - Construction - a Simplified DC LINAC

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
3l

Accelerator Fusion - Construction - a Simplified DC LINAC

Post by 3l »

Warning: The following post contains procedures that should not be attempted with out a thorough and COMPLETE understanding of the radiation hazard involved.
High vacuum is required to make this method work.
Remote operation procedure HAVE to be in place from the beginning.
Appropriated warning signs with a flashing warning light are necessary.
High voltage safety will be stringent due to the extra high potentials involved.
The radiation is short range but very intense close to the linac and the experintal area
Proper safety interlocks with keys are a must.
The local radiation will be on the order of 100 Rads or above.
It exceeds the lifetime permissible dose many fold.

Well I started trying to do an ac aproach to the trusty linac but
when Dave Cooper posted the idea of a solid state cascading voltage multiplier.... well it was all over but the shouting.

The posts are in the HV forum under:
2003-15-02 01:41 Re: High frequency high voltage generation (Dave Cooper)
2003-15-02 08:51 Re: High frequency high voltage generation (larry leins)
2003-16-02 02:49 Re: High frequency high voltage generation (Dave Cooper)

I was against any voltage drop scheme due to the losses and the resistors get hairy near the output!
Telsa coils are mean to tune and make nasty xrays when diodes are used.
The beauty of his suggestion was to tie in at each point on the voltage multiplier circuit where the voltage doubles and run the dees* at those voltages.
I didn't even think this way because I knew the history and had a mental picture of the massive set that disintegrated lithium. the 1932 cascading voltage multiplier filled a building. The Walton Crockcroft accelerator with modern parts will fit on a desk!
His idea (Dave's) is such a neat solution.
No longer do you calculate the dee* (electrode) length or sychronise anything.
No arc over due to very high potential....stages at a relatively low voltage to each other. No xrays generated during acceleration. But you are on your own bub after that!
The only critical factor is to gap the dees* (electrodes) so not to arc to it's neighbor but the dee could be a ring or very small length of pipe.
The particle could take it's own sweet time to move.
Uses availible parts that are still being manufactured.

New*******
Got glass pipe?
Build the classic electrostatic accelerator tube system w/o the Van de Graff generator.
No need for the sphere to shield the ion source
You can use the linear accelerator design of the voltage drop system by attaching wires on the bulkhead that holds the electrode.

I like metal systems so,,,,

I am currently drilling all the feedtru hole for the dees*.
A 3/8 " copper rigid tube will be cut at .5 " and soldered into a two inch copper pipe that is 12 inches long. My dees* are 1" long 3/4" copper pipe.
Yes my first unit will be soldered with silver solder at first to test the idea.
The first unit will run at 15 kv @30 ma from the dreaded neon sign transformer. Caps are 30 kv units of .0006 uf. The diodes are two microwave diodes in series.
Humm to test the p-b fuel set at 15 kv will take 5 stages to get
240 kv pretty close to the 500kv energy (collisional) required to test it out.
So the linac would need 5 dees* of one inch with a separation
of about 5 " total for ten inches total .
My pipe dealer sells by the foot.. more junk I guess.
For insulation for the dee* lead sylgard epoxy mix or vacuum epoxy.
The running pressure will be 10^-6 torr break out your diffusion pumps!
If this is your cup of tea see this post also in the HV forum

2003-15-02 15:51 DC Linac 1 power supply (larry leins)

* Sorry I was thinking cyclotron when I labeled the electrodes .

Fusion is fun!

Larry Leins
Fusion Tech

Hi Folks:

I have pulsed and pulsed but finally I'm to a point where the linear collider is about to take flight.
My ps is working great and all the bulk heads are done.
I'm using 1 and 1/2 inch oil cup cylinders (glass) for my insulators. The machining was easy but repeatative.
I stuck them together with high vacuum epoxy.
The electrodes are ss pipe set at a centimeter from the electrode in front or behind. The bulk head is an aluminum
circle of 3 inch diameter (3/8" thick) . I used side set screws to position the electrodes. After the electrode was in position a hex set screw was screwed down to hold it. the threaded hole and hex screw was coated in vacuum epoxy then the hole itself was filled in.
I'm using conflat flanges glued to the glass sleaves at each end.
My final unit will have 10 electrodes and 14 glass cups conflatted
to a conflat tee. I was so busy with other things
that my ion guns were neglected. I was hoping that Phil could supply parts / ion guns.
Problem solved.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
Attachments
linear3.JPG
linear3.JPG (59.28 KiB) Viewed 3042 times

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”