Accelerator Fusion - URL- A working homebuilt linac

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
3l

Accelerator Fusion - URL- A working homebuilt linac

Post by 3l »

Warning: The following post contains procedures that should not be attempted with out a thorough and COMPLETE understanding of the radiation hazard involved.
High vacuum is required to make this method work.
Remote operation procedure HAVE to be in place from the beginning.
Appropriated warning signs with a flashing warning light are necessary.
High voltage safety will be stringent due to the extra high potentials involved.
The radiation is short range but very intense close to the linac and the experintal area
Proper safety interlocks with keys are a must.
The local radiation will be on the order of 100 Rads or above.
It exceeds the lifetime permissible dose many fold.

Think a linac is so far into fantasy land it is impossible.... think again.
There must be something in the water here in Memphis Tenn.
Here is what a high school kid in my area did for science fair in HS....his recreation of the Walton Crockcroft accelerator of 1932 vintage with up to date parts...Enjoy.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mrniell/linac.html

Still think linacs are goofy?

Fusion is fun!
Larry Leins
Fusion Tech
dlsworks

Re: Accelerator Fusion - URL- A working homebuilt linac

Post by dlsworks »

I like, (sarcasm) how they signify "100kV@5ma" (500J/sec) to "be not lethal". Although their parts don't look particulalry current intensive.
We use to shock ourselves with with 2-3" electro-static Van De Graff style induced potentials(~200kV) until we got superficial burns on our forearms(being kids we we would do that as a testimoney to are ~fortitude, ....ahh the good ol'e days of sticking peanuts up the nose). It didn't take, but about 30sec of spinning the crank, or about a dozen or so shocks, to bring us to that condition. But,.... most basic Van de Graffs only produce currents in the nano-amperes range,...right? And what, the LD/50 for an electrically induced death is around 60 J.

Any way...I like the fact that they are incoproarting this high tech idea to the extreme with a low tech intuition. I think Larry has a good point with the results produced with such a simple vehicle of installation, can produce high levels of results, ~LINAC style.
I think one could easily and cheaply produce a system/ on the fusor side of things, when the premise is using a cheaper low-high voltage (<5kV) supply and stepping up to 50 60 or seventy kV with current magnitudes in the 500ua range. Making for use of cheaper discretes as well, as, volume prices methods of aquisition.
Then instead of using conflats (man I like the elegance of those conflats), a more rustic (?) style of feedthoughs, culimanating to a multi-input grid (maybe not explicitly grid either, maybe a point system) setup(100's x 100ua - 1ma@~50kV. This is in the vision style of some previous threads, regarding pulsed HV get-ups and multi-foci ion streams.
One this/that note I am aware of a man, out of e-Bay whom is sent me an e-mail offering .....well see for yourself

Hello,

Awhile back I had a Kaiser System capacitor power supply vailable for sale. It carried an ebay item number 2593503682.I actually have three of them available. It is in fact a 1.5 Kv output. Is this an item you would still have an interest in? All are in mint working condition and were personally removed by me from a working Cymer Excimer EX5700 DUV laser used in a photolithography set up.

If you're still interested, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Rich Horan
High Tech Transfer 112 Nod Rd, #11, Clinton, CT 06413
860-669-2455
fax: 860-669-2551
office@high-techtransfer.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2593503682

.........the point being that these constant current supplies and were design, if represented correctly, for Excimer lasers....which above all else, need low ripple outputs. This means repetabiites of better than <0.5%, shot to shot, and up to >1kHz. These devices most likely have in-built HRM V control of up to 2kHz, reliably(I am been bonning up on a manual of one of these units...with my own laser power supply). So if one has a good connection with some solid state swicthing devices(you could really articulate some control over the HV pulse feed) you might be-able to do some serious and effecient experimentation with inputs of around 6kW. I sure these units would go on around 100$ a piece, if they are not already gone....(although the power levels are coveted, 1.5kV is not much sought after on e-Bay).....his e-mail was sent to me just a couple of days ago.

One thing, I am not sure of is what is the norm of polarity used in fusors systems....what effeciencies/gains are designed for? This may be a point of contention.....

Darius

ps. I'd buy them myself considering they go for >3000 grand a piece and that they are the top of the line as far as CC power supplies go, if I only had the dough.
3l

Re: Accelerator Fusion - URL- A working homebuilt linac

Post by 3l »

Hi Darius:

I posted this URL for that very reason.
At the time I was looking for an xray transformer on Ebay.
I started the quest in 1997 after two years of nothing I ran across this post. It set the wheels rolling. After much deliberation. I finally developed with Dave Cooper the idea of a multisegment linac using DC Potentials generated by a cascade multiplier circuit. Simple cheap and could be home built using any high voltage source,neon sign xformer,spark coil ect . I used oil cup sleaves from drip oilers for the insulators. With a 15 dollar hole saw and a sheet of steel...as many bulkheads as needed.
The idea was to get a really cheap method of acceleration.
The total cost of my linac collider system was 200 dollars including the ps.
It is documented in this post:
2004-06-04 10:03 Accelerator Fusion - Construction - a Simplified DC LINAC (larry leins) [Latest: ] (0)

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor tech

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”