Another approach to fusion in solid matter?

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Verp

Another approach to fusion in solid matter?

Post by Verp »

Richard’s thread; download_thread.php?site=fusor&bn=fusor ... 1093973487 "The First Fusion - musings and theoretical machinations" reminded me of an idea I bounced around in my head a while ago. Robert L. Forward suggested that neutronium could be held together inside a large enough diamond, even one only a good number of inches in size. If ordinary solid might hold neutronium together, could one confine enough fusionable elements deep enough inside a large, solid piece of matter and do controlled fusion that way? It occurred to me that perhaps one could accelerate enough fusionable nuclei fast enough into a solid so enough penetrate deeply enough to reach fusion density. It had occurred to me that if there is anything to cold fusion, the density of fusionable nuclei might be lower than one would anticipate from most fusion theory.

The right material would probably be something very hard, refractory and resistant to damage caused by having the nuclei penetrating into it, and hopefully a catalyst of cold fusion. Boron and some of its compounds, nitrides, carbides, many of the harder precious gem type minerals, quartz, and the right metals and alloys also occurred to me as candidates. Would glassy materials with no crystalline structure to mess up (such as glassy carbon, fused quartz, ceramics or metal alloys) be more resistant to damage? (Remember these are rhetorical questions, I don’t necessarily expect quick, easy answers.)

Rod
Richard Hull

Re: Another approach to fusion in solid matter?

Post by Richard Hull »

I will expand on this a bit more, hopefully in future, but there was a proposal to super load Pd or Ti thin films with deuterons, electrochemically. Next, they would be plunged into liquid helium and perhaps some fusion would be detected. I have not heard if this was done or not.

Still, the idea that normal matter density in metal lattices might be dense enough to actually foster fusion is an interesting concept, as no one has tried to see were the Lawson criteria limits are in the cold and the ultra dense, by hot fusion standards.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”