Atom Smasher

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Chris Bradley

Re: Atom Smasher

Post by Chris Bradley »

charlie_mccartney wrote:I was thinking about making an atom smasher as a cheap little project while I look for a few investors to keep my fusor going (funds almost gone).
The premise of your question would seem to suggest a fusor is a more difficult project than an atom smasher. I'd be interested how you arrived at that presumption, and what cheap ways you think there might be for making an 'atom smasher'?
charlie_mccartney

Post by charlie_mccartney »

I was mislead, completely disregard the first post.
Charlie McCartney
charlie.mccartney1104@gmail.com
charliespersonalproject.weebly.com
Dan Tibbets

Post by Dan Tibbets »

If you want an atom smasher, you could build a Betatron, a linier accelerator, etc. The principles are simple. But, the implementation is challenging. Electronic designs would have to be very precise in time, etc. You could also wait 5-10 years, and possibly buy a laser based accelerator for a few thousand dollars. Alternately, you might introduce yourself to the local university. They might have some projects they might introduce you to.

Finally, you already have an atom smasher in your house. thanks to cosmic rays. Here the challenge is not producing atom smashing collisions, but detecting them. Explore cloud chambers, etc for relatively simple but possibly profound tools to further your education and appreciation.

Also, keep in mind that the particle speeds/energy needed for hydrogen isotope or even hydrogen- boron fusion is 1-2 orders of magnitude less than for robust atom smashing- it is two separate things. Generally atom smashing starts at several MeV of energy, fusion may only need only ~ 1-10 percent of this energy. R. Hull is an old Tesla coil guy and has probably worked with hundreds of thousands of volts (roughly translates into eV), but this is still only ~ 10% of what is needed for feeble atom smashing. Look up the earliest atom smashers - Walton Croft(?) electrostatic accelerators. The handling of the high voltage was a challengethat was way beyond Fusors. The Betatron was an adaptation that made the needed efforts much less. Recent laser accelerators may be even easier. Note that by easier, I mean that it might take only 1 million dollars to build a laser accelerator that matches a 100 million Betatron. My 1000 dollar laser accelerator may be a fanciful exaggeration.

Dan Tibbets

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”