A quick reply...

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Sven Andersson

A quick reply...

Post by Sven Andersson »

Of course the video proves nothing. It's a guess from me, that we are seeing soft x-ray induced fusion. It's for getting peoples attention!

About dangers. This is more serious question, and I have thought about it. First the issue of danger for postal workers. The picture shows my latest balloon design. I call it the golden sausage design. The amount of flammabla deuterium gas that it holds is very small. I think the risk is acceptable. I ordered a small vial of deuterium gas from Austria. It was sent in the mail, and nobody thought about it.

Second the risk for the experimenter. If soft x-ray induced fusion exists it will work like this: a quantum of electromagnetic radiation, with an energy of say 6000 eV, collides with a D2 molecule, and induces fusion, releasing 3-4 MeV of energy. A thousand times more energy than you put in. However, there will be no explosion, I think. Because, the soft x-rays will be produced by an x-ray tube, with a 1% efficiency. The maximum heat you will get out is about 10 times the electrical energy that you put into the x-ray tube, which is small.

About radiation. If the experimenter takes cover behind a concrete wall like your dentist does when x-raying you, he/she will be safe I think. The concrete certainly stops all gamma rays. "High density concrete gives a composite shield for both neutron and gamma radiation." A quote from http://www.pittslittle.com/high_density_concrete.html A Leader in Radiation Shielding Materials. Again the risks are small and acceptable.

SA
Attachments
balloon2.JPG
JakeJHecla

Re: A quick reply...

Post by JakeJHecla »

1) That's not an inconsiderable amount of D2, and it definitely falls afoul of hazmat shipping regulations. If you want D2, buy your own D2O and figure out the rest. Further, it's impolite to repeatedly ask the community to do something blatantly illegal.
2)In order for your idea to be taken remotely seriously, you need to provide an explanation for how soft x-rays cause fusion.You have presented no such evidence, and seem to have based your theory on a colossal misinterpretation of articles on radiation implosion.
3) If an average x-ray tube (dental) is 100W, and you get out "10 times the electrical energy" in fusion reactions from your balloon, that's a kW of fusion. Calculate for me how many neutrons/sec that is. I bet you can't get enough concrete to hide from that.
Sven Andersson

Post by Sven Andersson »

JakeJHecla wrote:1) That's not an inconsiderable amount of D2, and it definitely falls afoul of hazmat shipping regulations. If you want D2, buy your own D2O and figure out the rest. Further, it's impolite to repeatedly ask the community to do something blatantly illegal.
2)In order for your idea to be taken remotely seriously, you need to provide an explanation for how soft x-rays cause fusion.You have presented no such evidence, and seem to have based your theory on a colossal misinterpretation of articles on radiation implosion.
3) If an average x-ray tube (dental) is 100W, and you get out "10 times the electrical energy" in fusion reactions from your balloon, that's a kW of fusion. Calculate for me how many neutrons/sec that is. I bet you can't get enough concrete to hide from that.
Search for "Tesla Ampulle Deuterium" on eBay. The amount of D2 gas in the glas ampoule is comparable to the amount in my balloon. Ships anywhere in the world.

A kW of fusion for 1/100th of a second. 10 joules of fusion! A concrete wall would protect you.
JakeJHecla

Post by JakeJHecla »

Just because it's available does not imply safety or legality. Further, that ampoule is in fact safer than your balloon, as it's not a big, leaky static-y bag poised to burn violently at the drop of a hat.
Further, the USPS has some choice words on mailing gases: http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_017.htm. I suspect you'll find similar wording in shipping services in other countries as well. As for fusion yield and shielding, you seem to be pulling numbers out of thin air. 10J is still an ENORMOUS amount of fusion, and is almost certainly dangerous, even behind whatever concrete structure you manage to build. In conclusion, I see no written theory, no mathematical justification and no plausible mechanism for fusion from low levels of soft x-rays. This entire business of "soft x-ray fusion" on an amateur level is utter nonsense based on a wholly incorrect understanding of radiation implosion.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I you are planning on doing this, you can actually lay on top of your D2 soft X-ray reactor naked as the soft x-rays will not penetrate it and there will be 0.00000 fusion involved in the effort. A classic non-starter, waist of effort, time and money. I get the feeling you are not prepared to measure neutrons properly, as well.

I would say good luck doing fusion, but the laws of physics forbid any possibility of luck being involved here at all!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”