Van de Graaff Update for the ESLA "Gun"

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Dennis P Brown

Van de Graaff Update for the ESLA "Gun"

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Well, after a great deal of false starts and getting zero output current from the small Van de Graaff (VdG), including putting it back to its original state, I've finally got some current after some more changes. The two keys to achieving this minor success was to electrically isolate the upper collector-roller system/comb (in the dome.) This required machining a new bearing support (from plexi-glass) and re-installing the original nylon roller (vs. the metal one I had made.) Also, the comb design in the dome really did have to be changed. These changes have resulted in generating between 5 - 15 micro-amperes of current depending on the meter (digital says higher, analog says lower.) Even if I'm getting the high end current, that is not sufficient to excite the two domes very well. Still, a vast improvement over the original performance ... well, anything was an improvement from what I was getting ... . The voltage, while down, is still sufficient (at least in the 100 kV range.) Thanks to the help here (George Schmermund), I got this part of the project somewhat back on the right track. Getting a readable current from the unit is critical since otherwise, one is working in the dark and achieving nothing but frustration ... .

I guess I'll experiment with some micro-ampere meters to get a more valid reading, do some more upper comb design/positioning, look at the lower roller and the excitation current/voltage and its related comb issues. I seriously doubt this small VdG will ever produce enough current; still, it is a valuable learning tool.

In any case, I am looking at a new unit that is claimed to achieve 60 - 70 micro-amperes. Nice if it can. Not too pricey but concerned it too could fail or not produce enough current - I'd except the higher the current the better for my possible beam current and I speculate that my electrostatic linear accelerator (ESLA) would need (for the complete system) at least 20 micro-ampere at the gun in order to obtain a measurable deuteron beam current at the target. Considering this is the ONLY remaining part of this project, at least I am close ... maybe ... .

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”