Archived - Thailand fusor under construction

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jack Puntawong

Archived - Thailand fusor under construction

Post by Jack Puntawong »

It's the Songkran holiday and, my advisor and I have been constructing the fusor for several days now. We have completed constructing the iron table with wheels to serve as our platform. Construction has been going smoothly however there are some issue with the ion gauge and the pirani gauge. We hope that we can find a person to fix them soon. Also, we have found an x-ray transformer but the price is out of reached. Worst case scenario would be to borrow a power supply from a university high voltage lab.

Picture 1: The controller switch-
- diffusion pump + fans
- rotary vane pump
- variac connected to x-ray transformer
- electrolysis system
- gauges
- computer + webcam

Picture 2: controller circuit connected to a magnetic relay and an emergency stop

Picture 3: Fusor chamber pic 1

Picture 4: Fusor chamber pic 2
- you can see the white webcam infront of the left viewport. There's also the gas handling system on the top.

The real assembly is going to be in a controlled room so that the fusor is as clean as possible. We are just assembling it first to make sure the everything fits. Also, if anyone could sell us an x-ray transformer, that'll be great

best,

Jack Puntawong
Attachments
563050_10151552946727859_818545215_n.jpg
539706_10151550100452859_1956588522_n.jpg
533367_10151551821337859_918546021_n.jpg
603882_10151553741822859_568675454_n.jpg
Nick Peskosky

Re: Thailand fusor under construction

Post by Nick Peskosky »

Jack it looks like the project is progressing along nicely. Have you made a decision on what type of inner grid geometry you intend to use with this cylindrical chamber?

Cheers,
Nick Peskosky
Nick Peskosky
NPeskosky@gmail.com

"The whole of science is nothing more than the refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein
Jack Puntawong

Re: Thailand fusor under construction

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Nick, I have not. I know that the optimal ration between the outer and the inner is 4:1 or 5:1. However, Is there any significant difference between a spherical and cylindrical grid ? The beer keg fusor by Brandon Merril has spherical grid but the plasma looks amazing.
Richard Hull

Re: Archived - Thailand fusor under construction

Post by Richard Hull »

Fabulous effort and it looks like fusion is now just a matter of finishing touches. Thanks for sharing the build with us in images.

Richard
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Thanks, Richard. Your kind words and comment is always encouraging. Hopefully, we will finish constructing the fusor withing this weekend. =)

Jack Puntawong
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Update

After the Edwards E2M8 pump have been running right around 1 torr, I ordered a minor repair kit to rebuild the pump. It is now running between 0.01-0.015 torr which is good enough for the diffusion pump to work. I have also painted the table yellow just to prevent rust from eating in and have finished assembling the fusor. However, there's a major leak which made the pressure of the system stay at 0.7 torr. I am assuming that it is caused by the 6" viton gasket between the diffusion pump and the adapter. The viton gasket is over 20 (actually almost 30) years old plus during the process of cleaning, I was unaware of the incompatibility of acetone to viton. I have found some local supply store that supply viton of various size. Also, after failing to fix the ion gauge, I bought a used/calibrated Edwards pirani 14 & 15 for a bargain with free calibration. Bill has also won the intense auction from eBay for the Glassman ER series 0-30kV 10mA negative polarity for $365. (Actually he was bidding against my friend, Nick Peskosky. Should have coordinated!). He is testing it at the University lab and is going to send the unit to me soon. :) So, hopefully the power supply works and I can fix the leak soon!

Jack Puntawong
Picture 1: The rebuilt pump and the painted table

Picture 2: The pirani gauge 14

Picture 3: The set up. On the right, you can see the 1.5" viewport with the webcam. The black box is actually a lead box ( I got for fee) and will be used to cover the webcam at operation over 10kV. Also, there's an "if everything fail" button on the right hand corner connected to the control box.

Picture 4: The set up from different angle.

Picture 5: The glassman power supply which is now with Bill
Daniel Firth

Post by Daniel Firth »

I had that power supply on my eBay watch list, and tried to bid $250 on it towards the end. However, the price shot up so fast my bid didn't even get placed.

When the auction ended, I was hoping someone here got it.

If everything else in your system is stable, operating that supply in constant-current mode will make fusion so easy, it will feel like cheating.
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Hi guys,

I just wanted to keep you update on my set-up. I added a computer which is equipped with webcam for x-ray protection and a gamma spectacular (made by Steven). I still haven't set the discriminator for the neutron probe yet so I might have to go borrow a neutron source from the Nuclear Engineering Department. Also, I've added a liquid nitrogen flask I got off ebay. I dont have access to the liquid nitrogen but dry ice + acetone (-78 celcius) should suffice. So, I think I'll be ready to produce neutron soon. I think that the only thing that is keeping me back is the vacuum pump.

I replaced the gaskets, the springs and oil on the vacuum pump so that it now runs at 8.5e-3 torr. However, after one hour of operation, the temperature rises to about 90 celcius (194 Fahrenheit). Many people suggested to me that it might be the bearings. I'm going to take the motor out from the vacuum pump soon and check. Hopefully its not the motor though...

Happy New Year!

Kunakorn (Jack) Puntawong
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks for the update. We like to see progress. I do hope you can get hold of the HV supply to make all that nice setup go to work doing fusion.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Jack
These Edwards Backing pumps run very hot - it helps keep water out of the oil
Do not run the gas ballast continuously as it will spit out oil from the pump and if left on overnight for instance it will run the pump dangerously low on oil.
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Hey guys,

I havn't update my progress in a long time. So, here goes:

I have fixed the E2M5 rouging pump that was overheating by replacing the original motor with a used motor that I found. I built a custom fitting for the motor and it has been running great ever since. Also, I replace the diffusion pump with the a small turbopump (Leybold Turbovac 50). The ultimate pressure is now 5e-4 torr after pumping 5 minute. Other than these, everything is essentially the same. The only issue I have when I operate is either not getting a high enough voltage or high enough current (sometimes barely 1mA). I think that this is due to the Glassman HVPS design which limits the current and voltage. Here's the technical spec and my experience while operating the fusor:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Glassman HVPS
0-30kV negative polarity
0-10mA
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Case #1
Pressure: 10-30 millitorr
Voltage: 6-10kV
Current: 10mA
Description: nice plasma globe in the center of the inner grid

Case #2
Pressure: 3-8 millitorr
Voltage: 20-30kV
Current: 0-2 mA
Description: barely or no plasma visible

There seems to be a very fine line in operating the fusor. Can you guys give me any advice on how to proceed from here ?

Thanks,

Kunakorn Puntawong

Also, heres some picture of my fusor:

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Case # 2 is where most begin. You might be getting fusion there but at 2ma even at 25kv you would need a superior neutron detector to prove it.

All I can say is that you are in the ball park. Your supply must be able to supply 25-30kv into a gas environment that you can control, also see a good plasma ball and usually the faint star mode and have a pressure of between 5-10microns. You will still need a good neutron counter to prove fusion.

Operating a fusor is very tricky and I have posted a FAQ on it.

side note: I was officially stationed at Korat Royal Thai Air Force base in 1968-69 as part of an F4-E phantom squadron. (Vietnam war)
We were on a lot of TDYs to Camron Bay AFB in Vietnam, Ubon and Udorn in Tahiland, as well. A friend and fellow staff sergeant of mine put up images of the base and a very young me is in one image with him. see them at

http://www.bobpenoyer.com/onbase.htm

Richard Hull
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Wow Richard! Thank you for sharing the picture (I didn't know you had mustache) and for the advice. I have tried again today. After fiddling with the needle valve for about 20 minutes. This is the best result I got:

10mA
25 kV
3-4 micron (At a higher pressure the voltage drops, at a lower pressure current drops. Not sure if this pressure is too low though)

I did not want to waste the deuterium so I am experimenting with air. I'm guessing that the behavior should be the same. I should be ready to produce my first neutron next week. All there's left is to calibrate my neutron detection system. Hopefully, a local university will let me in and borrow their neutron source. =) I will keep you guys update.

Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

You are nearly there!

You have done a fine job of using air to get your chamber, grid, and gas control ready.

As far as behavior similarities between air and deuterium, the basic operating scheme is the same, but you will see that deuterium plasma will ignite at a higher pressure than air for a given voltage. Also, air doesn't produce star mode beams that are as easy to see as deuterium. You should see classic star mode with d by at least -15 kV.

Have fun and be safe.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I'll echo what Jim said. You are really on the cusp of success and "fiddling" is the correct word. The delicacy of balancing all the parameters is an art. Once learned, it is like riding a bicycle. You've got it.

You will slowly learn what needs adjusting and how to balance the system out.

I had a real issue with the VCU fusor. They had a 30kv 10ma spellman supply. There was zero headroom on this supply before the supply's electronics forced a shutdown which was complete and instantaneous. This is why we like to make our own supplies. They can be robust and contain no electronic limiting circuitry, forcing the operator to watch his work carefully on the meters as he brings a system to full operation. You have a lot of headroom and "slop at the top" on an over designed HV supply.

Richard Hull
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Update!!!

Professor Nares at Chulalongkorn University have replied my email. He told me to come over to have my detector calibrate. Also, he said that if my detectors are unable to detect neutron, he is willing to let me borrow his much more sensitive equipment. I'm going over there right now. Happy times~
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Great news! Good luck. It is nice to find a helping hand locally and to find someone interested in your effort who is willing to contribute significantly.

Richard Hull
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Guys,

Yesterday I went to calibrate my neutron detector at Chulalongkorn University with a 20 micro-Curie neutron source. The detector worked perfectly. Got over 40,000 cpm. However, when I tried to do fusion at my house. This is the result:

Background Count (average over 30 minutes): 299 cpm

Operating Parameters:
28kV, 10mA
2.9 micron (Any higher and the pressure drops)

Radiation measure:
GE B-10 lined neutron probe
Moderator: 2 inches of paraffin
Distance from the inner grid: 10 cm
Counts(Over 1 minute): 317 cpm <--- Too small of a difference to confirm that I have produce neutron

I'm not sure what's wrong here. I believe that I am producing neutron but just a very small amount but just not being able to detect it. I'll contact the University again today whether I will be able to borrow their neutron probe.

Wish me luck!

Kunakorn (Jack) Puntawong
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

We are discussing this in another thread here. 299 cpm background is just too high! However the 317 CPM is good but should be indicating fusion provided you average that over 5 or 6 minutes and not just one minute.

Richard Hull

Return to “Images du Jour”