Archived - Construction Phase

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Bob Reite

Archived - Construction Phase

Post by Bob Reite »

My scrounging for parts is now complete and I have begun the construction phase of my fusor project.
fusorrack1.jpg
Front view. The voltage multiplier stack is in the final position. The transformer is going to get some sort of shelf or mounting, but I wanted to test first to see if I was going to have an arc over problem from the multiplier to the grounded cabinet. Even though I only had 4 inches of clearance, I was able to go to the full 60 KV without issues, other than some corona from a damaged wire that I have not replaced yet. The vacuum chamber has been installed in the final position and the ion and convection gauges attached. The vacuum pump is in roughly the horizontal location, but a shelf or stand needs to be built to bring its inlet to the 90 degree elbow on the right. The front grille and meter panel are yet to be installed.
fusorrack2.jpg
Rear view. If you look closely, you can see the HV feed through from the vacuum chamber below it through an opening in the top that will get a 2 3/4 inch panel. The back door has a lock. It will get an interlock as well.

UPDATE: Vacuum system is now complete
vacuuma.jpg
The DMM is connected to the convection gauge. Just to confirm that the set point is correct and that the ionization gauge won't try to turn on until the pressure is down to 40 microns. It will do 50 microns max, but I want a bit of safety margin and others report that most fusion is done in the 5 to 20 micron range.
vacuumb.jpg
Ionization gauge shows a good hard vacuum. Leak rate is under 0.01 micron per second.

Next step is final wiring of HV metering. With any luck, I'll be ready for "first light" in 24 hours.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Return to “Images du Jour”