First Announcements - Sean Rayna

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Sean Rayna

First Announcements - Sean Rayna

Post by Sean Rayna »

I've been collecting parts for the last few months now, I'm heading into the precision machine shop on campus on Tuesday to have my main vacuum chamber put together, so I figured it was well past time for my "Images-du-Jour" announcement. So far I've gathered just about everything I'll need for vacuum. My next focus is the gas delivery, I'm going to go with electrolysis of heavy water. My weak point in all this is the electrical engineering aspect, and I'm currently working through several EE textbooks, "Practical Electronics for Inventors", and the like to gain a better understanding so I can successfully and safely construct the appropriate PSU and metering, and everything else to go with it.

I have a Ludlum Model 2000 paired with a boron tube for neutron detection. I understand many are skeptical that this setup isn't sufficient for a reputable fusor, and while I would agree, it's what's within my budget for now. I plan to expand after initial ignition to include dual ion guns, and will hopefully be able to construct a better detection system to accompany that.

So far I have:
-All necessary components to build a 6" spherical vacuum chamber
-MKS 943 Vacuum gauge for 10e-2 to 10e-8 range
-Pirani 501 for atm to 10e-3 with accompanying gauge and cable
-A 30KV Power Feedthrough
-An Acatel 2002B roughing pump
-Diavac DPF-2Z oil diffusion pump
-Most necessary plumbing
-15KV 30Ma NST
-Air compressor w/ reservoir for operation of pneumatic valves
chamber parts.jpg
Here's everything for the main vacuum chamber
model.jpg
This is the 3D rendering I made in SolidWorks for the engineering drawings I'll be taking to the machine shop. The shop in question is located inside the campus' nuclear labs, and they have plenty of experience with UHV work
pumps.jpg
The two pumps. Got a great deal on the diffusion pump!
unnamed.jpg
This is the diffusion pump broken down for the initial cleaning. I looked like it had barely been used, if at all. The butterfly throttling valve, cooling baffle, and everything else came included. It really was a steal. You can see the top is a very convenient NW50 flange, so no headache getting it plumbed. I don't mind the liquid cooling, I've got plenty of parts left over from gaming rig builds.
meters.jpg
Everything else. Vacuum metering and neutron detection.

I really look forward to being a part of this community. More to come!

-Sean Rayna
Jake Wells

Re: First Announcements - Sean Rayna

Post by Jake Wells »

A very good start. you're on your way.
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
― Nikola Tesla
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Nice to see someone else taking a CAD/true engineering approach to their design. Most people here just slap parts together. Sure it can work that way, however it's not how I prefer to work. You mentioned the nuke lab. What university?
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
prestonbarrows

Post by prestonbarrows »

Sean Rayna wrote:My weak point in all this is the electrical engineering aspect,
The Art of Electronics is pretty much the bible for all things electronic.
Sean Rayna wrote: This is the 3D rendering I made in SolidWorks for the engineering drawings I'll be taking to the machine shop. The shop in question is located inside the campus' nuclear labs, and they have plenty of experience with UHV work
Good, welding for high vacuum requires a certain set of tricks that the average welder won't bother with, most having to do with preventing virtual leaks.
Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Great parts! Any progress so far on the machine work? You seem to be quite a ways towards the finish line.

Drawn by Preston's comment...Just in case: Be careful about shelling out for The Art Of Electronics, it's quite terse and I wouldn't advise it as a first step - coming from someone who is really only along their first step in electronics. There's probably some other good books out there, but I have The Art and it's not quite what I'd call newbie material.

This isn't a discussion thread though, so if you want to check it out start something in the HV section or Theory.

Best of luck,
Tom

Return to “Images du Jour”