New old NIM work

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Andrew Robinson

New old NIM work

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Finally got around to doing a little bit of work on some old NIMs I picked up recently. They have been staring at me recently and something had to be done. Made a few electrical modifications, replaced some old components and crusty wires, and rebuilt the enclosures (Well rebuilding... still a work in progress). The most obvious changes are the exteriors. Finally out with those old ugly Tennelec chassis and face plates not to mention those AWFUL side access panels, and in with the new black anodized aluminum face plates and more robust rear chassis/panels. Don't have any pics yet of the back side as I am still putting everything back together. Here are some of the new face plates with the CAD for a side by side comparison. Unfortunately I have to re-machine the HV supply faceplate because the anodize cracked during engraving. Tools were getting dull.

None of these pictures do them justice. MUCH shinier in person :)
CAD view of bottom of blanks and the chassis power face plate.
CAD view of bottom of blanks and the chassis power face plate.
REAL view of bottom of blanks and the chassis power face plate.
REAL view of bottom of blanks and the chassis power face plate.
Isometric-esk view of CAD power face plate, both 2U blanks, counter, and HV supply.
Isometric-esk view of CAD power face plate, both 2U blanks, counter, and HV supply.
Isometric-esk view of REAL power face plate, both 2U blanks, counter, and HV supply.
Isometric-esk view of REAL power face plate, both 2U blanks, counter, and HV supply.
Front view of all CAD face plates.
Front view of all CAD face plates.
Front view of all REAL face plates.
Front view of all REAL face plates.
Another CAD angle.
Another CAD angle.
Another REAL angle.
Another REAL angle.
Here you can at least see the CAD of the aluminum chassis for a 1U and 2U module.
Here you can at least see the CAD of the aluminum chassis for a 1U and 2U module.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Andrew Robinson

Re: New old NIM work

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Just about done with the current modules. My custom modules are still pending for a later date (Blanks on left for now). I have to fix one more front panel that didn't come out right and need to finish up the backs this weekend. After that and some testing, this chassis will be back operational 100%.
IMG_20150127_144043.jpg
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Return to “Images du Jour”