Austrian Fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Philipp W

Austrian Fusor

Post by Philipp W »

Hello everybody,

here is the current status of my Fusor project, on which I've been working on since summer 2014.
Fusor setup (this is an older picture, without the viewport and the feedthrough)
Fusor setup (this is an older picture, without the viewport and the feedthrough)
As a chamber, I'm using the classic 6" Wagner hemispheres approach. The chamber has a total of 6 CF-40 flanges. The forepump is a Alcatel 2010 series dual stage rotary vane pump. The oil diffusion pump is a Diffstak-100 (water cooled). As a radiator for the water cooling loop, I'm using cheap automotive heat exchangers together with a powerful fan. This has worked out very well so far.

The pressure gauge you can see on the above photo is a used Edwards APG-100 Pirani gauge. Although I did cross-calibrate it with Werner's full range gauge (it was way out of calibration when I received it), it forms the bottleneck of the current setup. As per its datasheet, you can count on somewhat accurate measurements down to about 10E-3 mbar. With the diffusion pump, I'm able to go much lower of course - but how much lower I can't say for sure.
very crude feedthrough I'm currently using
very crude feedthrough I'm currently using
For the first tests with "high" voltage I got this crude feedthrough-setup (it is a Champion FI21501 spark plug) working today. The seal is just an O-ring pressed against the flange -- works just fine so far.

These are the first plasma discharges I could generate today, using a small OBIT. I didn't bother making a nice grid for these first tests, but opted for the easiest to make geometry: a 'rectangular' grid.
line focus clearly visible (in the 10E-3 mbar regime)
line focus clearly visible (in the 10E-3 mbar regime)
high pressure discharge (some 10E-2 mbar)
high pressure discharge (some 10E-2 mbar)
The next steps are clearly laid out: make everything more professional! I'm thus working on a central DAQ system, that takes care of all data sources that can be found around a fusor. A central part of this system is already operational, namely the interface that lets me control the multi channel analyzer (see here for more detail)
GUI of the DAQ application I'm using for remote controlling the MCA (written in Java)
GUI of the DAQ application I'm using for remote controlling the MCA (written in Java)
I do have a BC-412 plastic scintillator that works well with the MCA and which I'm planning to use as a fast neutron counter. Placing the crystal in a lead shielding will (hopefully) get rid of the x-rays, leaving only 'real' hits by neutrons.

But that's still far away -- I'm by all means trying not to rush towards fusion, but rather try to avoid off-the-shelf solutions and make most things myself (e.g. the electronics).

So it may be some more time before I can report on 'first neutrons', but I'll have lots of fun in the process of getting there ;)

Philipp
Richard Hull

Re: Austrian Fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice looking setup. You are serious as you have invested in a good base level system. I have entered you in the Plasma Club. All the best in finishing the effort as time and money permit.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Werner Engel

Re: Austrian Fusor

Post by Werner Engel »

Congratulations!
Looks very good!
Waiting for the next Pictures showing Neutrons/Second!!

BR,
Werner

Return to “Images du Jour”