Putting Things Together

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Charles Vorbach

Putting Things Together

Post by Charles Vorbach »

So I'm getting closer to first plasma. I have my voltmeter up and will have a ammeter in the next few weeks. I just need to put a few components under oil, hook up the pump, and make some kind of high voltage feedthrough.
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
I got two CF blanks that were pretty dirty and blacked on the inside with something. I was sure I was going to have to return them, but I gave cleaning them a shot anyway.
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
Whatever the substance was, it came off nicely with soap and water. It could be arsenic for all I know so I threw out the sponges.

One is still scuffed up, although the knife edges look fine. Does anyone know if it will be alright?
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
prestonbarrows

Re: Putting Things Together

Post by prestonbarrows »

Conflat knife edges are very forgiving of damage if you use elastomer gaskets. If the edge gets dinged up enough to not make a good metal-to-metal seal, you can get special metal gaskets sized to seal on the tapered face rather than the edge itself. In the worst cases, you can resort to things like indium wire gaskets.

Yours look just fine, especially for fusor levels of vacuum.
Charles Vorbach

Re: Putting Things Together

Post by Charles Vorbach »

Thanks!

Return to “Images du Jour”