First Plasma Achieved

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jacke

First Plasma Achieved

Post by Jacke »

It is not optimal as the pressure is it not nearly as low as it should be and the grid is not very nice looking, but it is my first time generating plasma.

John Futter

Re: First Plasma Achieved

Post by John Futter »

Jake
A start of a nice setup
I would think your vacuum in the chamber is around 0.1 millibar aka 2 x 10 to minus 1 torr.
A squeeze bottlr of alcohol to test all joints (slowly) might pinpoint where you have a leak.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Fixed some of the leaks today. Got the pressure down to about 65 micron. Ended up with a whitish plasma this time.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice work Jake! You still have a way to go on the foreline vacuum which should, ultimately, end up between 10 and 20 microns. You will note I have added your name to the Plasma club.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Installed a new grid and slightly upgraded the vacuum line today. Played around with the plasma color at different pressures too.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

John Futter wrote: I would think your vacuum in the chamber is around 0.1 millibar aka 2 x 10 to minus 1 torr.
John, Isn't 0.1 mbar = 0.075 Torr? Not critical to the general discussion, but what pressure did you actually think you were seeing in the plasma?
Rex Allers

Return to “Images du Jour”